Nairobi, Kenya | www.ampersand.solar
Facility Maintenance Technician
Are you ready to make a real difference? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand
is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer
savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km travelled. We have successfully raised $4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up
our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly
scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is looking for a competent and reliable Facilities Maintenance Technician to join the Construction and Facility department to assist in ensuring the excellent condition and functionality for Ampersand buildings, systems and equipment. The responsibilities include
overseeing all maintenance activities, performing the electrical maintenance, monitoring inventory, developing preventive maintenance procedures and other related duties.
The ideal candidate will be the one with deep understanding of electrical standards and installation with basic knowledge of other building systems including plumbing and HVAC, maintenance procedures, and management skills.
The role will report to the Construction, Facility & Safety manager and it will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversee all maintenance undertakings for Ampersand office and charging stations facilities
- Conduct maintenance of electrical systems at the Ampersand charging stations and HQand ensure all other systems of plumbing and HVAC operates well
- Perform periodic inspection on Ampersand facilities, equipment (racks, carts, camera systems.) to identify any issue
- Follow up in case there is an issue from their installation
- Prepare material and cost estimates for maintenance activities and ensure the compliance with the budget
- Set up and enforce preventative maintenance procedures to reduce maintenance costs
- Manage the space and the furniture for Ampersand offices and charging stations, repair locking systems for doors, windows and enhance cleanness at all facilities
- Monitor the construction/facility maintenance inventory through DEAR system, maintain purchase records within the authorized budget
- Supervise the contractors for the construction sites to ensure the compliance with the approved designs and general standards for both civil and MEP activities
- Performs other work related duties as assigned
We are seeking qualified and motivated personnel with a deep knowledge and experience in building systems. You are encouraged to apply if you meet the following:
- A1 certificate or equivalent qualifications in areas of electrical engineering, building management
- 5+ years of relevant experience, having worked in REG is an advantage
- Deep understanding of electrical installations and standards
- Basic understanding of plumbing and civil systems
- Strong understanding of general maintenance processes and methods
- Working knowledge of tools, common appliances, and devices
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Managerial and Problem solving skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work over the weekends or on holidays whenever requested
A competitive compensation package commensurate with local market rates.
This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya