KENYA MEDICAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Opening date: February 10, 2021 Vacancy No. CGHR/173/02/21
Program description: This program is collaboration between Kenya Medical Research Institute, the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention whose remit is to conduct research in malaria, HIV and other diseases. The malaria branch malaria vaccine implementation program, feasibility study has a vacancy for community interviewers.
Position: Field Clerk (Field worker) (63 Positions)
Location: Northern, Central and Southern Hub (Bungoma, Kakamega, Vihiga, Busia, Siaya, Kisumu, Migori and Homabay)
Reports to: Regional Field Supervisor.
The community interviewer will report directly to the Field supervisor. S/He will be responsible for performing informed consent to biological parents or caretaker to children aged between 12-23 months, collecting a blood sample for malaria testing, administering questionnaire using tablets and taking MUAC as stipulated in the protocol. The Field Worker must ensure that the data collection in the field is conducted in the highest standards possible as per the MVIP study protocol. S/he must be flexible and work within the existing structure, in a professional and ethical manner with competence, accountability and integrity.
• Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education with a minimum grade of a D+ plus.
• Good command of English, Swahili, Luo and/or Luhya languages, both spoken and written
• Must be able to write brief reports and keep records.
• Preferably residents of Bungoma, Kakamega, Vihiga, Busia, Siaya, Kisumu, Migori and Homabay
• Experience in household survey is an added advantage.
• Experience in collection of blood samples also an added advantage.
• Preference will be given to those who worked in the previous round of the malaria vaccine feasibility study (baseline household survey)
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities.
The Community interviewer responsibilities shall include and not be limited to the following:
• Consent study participants
• Collect a blood sample by finger prick
• Perform a Malaria Rapid Diagnostics Tests.
• Complete study forms accurately and completely
• Ensure proper labelling and tracking of samples and accuracy before leaving the households.
• Communicate with the Field Supervisors on field issues
• Ensure that one has requisite supplies in good time
• Attend study field debriefs and share progress of work
• Be courteous, respectful, proactive, conscientious, punctual, honest and hardworking.
• Work closely with the Team leaders.
• Must be flexible to work during weekends and public holidays.
• Be responsible for the study supplies and equipment’s while in the field.
• Perform any other duties assigned or delegated by the study management.
Terms of Employment:
Fixed Term Employment for 2 months.
Applications should include the following:
• Letter of Application indicating your county of residence (please specifically indicate prior participation in the baseline malaria vaccine feasibility survey)
• Current Resume or CV, with names and contact information of two referees.
• Copies of Certificates or transcripts
Applications should be sent through email@example.com no later than March 3, 2021 and indicate the vacancy number as the email subject.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER; WOMEN AND DISABLED PERSONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS SELECTION PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER. IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY TO RELEVANT AUTHORITY
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted