Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration, the Finance Assistant will be responsible for providing financial and administrative support to the Breakthrough ACTION Kenya project.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:5 years
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
Breakthrough ACTION is a cooperative agreement funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to lead its social and behavior change rogramming around the world. Led by the Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP), Breakthrough ACTION partners include Save the Children, ideas42, Think Place, Camber Collective, the International Center for Research on Women (ICRW), and Viamo.
CCP is seeking a Finance Assistant for a five-year (2020-2025) USAID/Kenya/PMI funded project, Breakthrough ACTION Kenya. Breakthrough ACTION Kenya is a social behavior change a program designed to manage implementation of high-quality activities that influence positive behavior change to protect atrisk populations from preventable malaria morbidity and mortality and improve Reproductive Maternal Neonatal and Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) outcomes. The project will also strengthen the institutional and technical capacity of the national and county health offices to design, implement, evaluate, and coordinate effective social and behavior change (SBC) programs. The project is implemented in the counties of Bungoma, Busia, Homabay, Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori, Siaya and Vihiga.
Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration, the Finance Assistant will be responsible for providing financial and administrative support to the Breakthrough ACTION Kenya project. S/he will ensure financial resources are disbursed, accounted for and reported efficiently while adhering to JHU/CCP’s finance regulations and administrative policies.
• Process and record invoices, check requests, and disbursements (domestic and international) daily.
• Manage, record, and reconcile staff advances for field activities.
• Prepare, manage, and track all local consultancies and purchase orders. Ensure timely procurements and communication with vendors.
• Review supportive documents for MPESA for accuracy, completeness, and compliance to JHU financial policies.
• Verification of vendor invoices for accuracy and completeness before sending for approval in a timely manner
• Regularly updating the payments tracker to ensure timely processing of payments to all vendors and other stakeholders.
• Prepare VAT (Value Added Tax) refund letters and follow up with vendors in a timely manner.
• Travel to counties as required to provide financial and administrative support either independently or with other project staff. Overnight travel may be required
• Ensure Petty Cash & Bank Cash Registers and reconciliations are done in a timely manner.
• Entry of financial transactions into QuickBooks and ensuring posted entries have appropriate budget and project codes.
• Assist in preparation of monthly financial reports and review of documentation required/requested by USAID or CCP headquarters (HQ) office in Baltimore, MD USA under the guidance of the Director of Finance Administration
• Assist all program staff to understand and implement policies, procedures, systems, and tools for operational excellence and compliance
• Assist staff with implementation of regulatory and financial requirements to include adherence to JHU's policy manual, country specific manuals, and host country requirements. Monitor sponsored programs for compliance and adherence to policy.
• Help ensure that program staff understand and comply with all JHU Purchasing and donor requirements concerning vendor selection criteria and price justification
• Ensure compliance with Kenyan labor laws.
• Maintain the filing system in place for easy accessibility of documents.
• Assist in providing administrative support as needed during preparation for workshops, training and meetings
• Ensure accountability of payments to government personnel for project meetings, workshops, and in-country travels
• Provide general support to CCP personnel and project contractors visiting Kenya
The ideal candidate should have the following: –
• A minimum of a Certified Public Accountants (CPA) III
• A bachelor’s degree in Business related course (Finance or Accounting option) from a reputable institution will be an added advantage.
• At least five (5) years’ relevant financial experience in NGO sector
• At least 3 years’ experience with USAID funded projects is desired.
• Be able to work with QuickBooks accounting system, Microsoft Word & Excel skills is required.
• Be a Kenyan national.
• Demonstrate high levels of integrity and confidentiality
• Excellent interpersonal, written, presentation and communication skills
• Basic analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
• Ability to work in diverse teams
• Flexibility, adaptability, multi-tasking and attention to detail.
• Send an email by clicking the "Apply Now Button".
• The subject line of your email should include the job title
• Attach your cover letter and CV with a list of the contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) of three references (including your most recent employer)
• Applications should be addressed to the following address: The Hiring Manager/Team Lead Breakthrough ACTION Kenya
• The deadline for submission of applications is October 7th, 2022 at 5pm. However, due to the urgency of this position, interviews will be arranged on a rolling basis and Breakthrough ACTION
Kenya may offer this post before the closing date.
• Please note that only qualified and shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
• These positions are contingent on funding from USAID and as such Breakthrough ACTION has the right to cancel this notice without applicants' consent.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured