• Develop accounting and costing systems and ensure SOPS for accounts are fully implemented. Get the departmental manpower trained to use full potentiality of the Accounting package to promote computerization of the operations.
• Ensure that the integrity of the Accounting System is maintained all times by enforcing a security control system with only necessary access to authorized personnel.
• Develop, implement and monitor overall business and financial strategy of the company. Will be responsible to develop and implement overall budget of company by closely working with departmental heads subject to approval by management.
• Manage contractual functions of the company efficiently in a time bound manner. Overall responsible for company insurance, import/export administration, licensing, contracts and agreements, legal areas and activities, corporate level negotiations (e.g. premises, plant, trading, disposals, major supplier/customer/partner relationships (banks) and regulatory bodies’ relationships.
• Liaise with audit companies and the auditors to ensure statutory auditing is done within 2 months from the financial year-end. Individual companies’ statutory obligations are fulfilled within the stipulated time including tax payments.
• Managing, training and developing the finance and accounts team to perform at their best and to assist with all functions of the finance and accounts department – with a focus on the undermentioned areas. Will need to understand every position and its roles and responsibilities.
• Keeping track of debtors outstanding and bringing them into agreed credit terms. Debtors where outstanding is above an agreed amount, to escalate to management for guidance. Ensure invoice creation, invoice delivery and reconciliation is done in a timely and consistent manner.
• Creditor’s management to ensure payment terms are met and strict controls on all outgoing payments.
• Yearend accounts shall be finalized before 15th Jan and the trial balances should be submitted to auditors after the management approval.
• Manage financial functions prudently.
• Monthly Finance Management Information System (MIS) reports - are submitted to the Management on agreed working day of the following month along with financial analysis as per agreed format. Timely, consistent, accurate reconciliation of all accounts, statements etc.
• Ensure to manage imports payments and exports receivables as per agreed terms and keep constant communication with the respective companies.
• Ensure that VAT, Withholding VAT, Withholding Rental Tax, Withholding Income Tax returns are verified and filed in time and stringent follow up to get the refunds on time.
• Maintain strict inventory control by ensuring transaction wise instant updating and verification for prompt stock assessment and to prepare accurate month end stock report.
• Ensure maintenance of fixed and movable assets register.
• Liaise with banks and other institutions to ensure smooth functioning and to ensure proper cash management and investing according to business needs.
• Petty cash- keep regular check and identify irregular expenses.
• Drive rigorous control cost by continuous assessing the expenses and unwanted overspend all heads of expenses & timely cost analysis.
• Visit branches at regular intervals to carryout internal auditing and submit management reports.
• Oversee and guide the Finance & Accounting resources for ensuring all compliances under the local laws and maintain the standards of governance and reporting system.
• Administration of monthly payroll.
• Other areas as required by the business.
• Graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Finance or Business Administration.
• CPA Kenya or any other professional accounting qualifications (e.g. ACCA, CIMA etc.) with 5 years of work experience at a management position.
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent Financial Management and Analytical skills.
• Good Interpersonal and communication skill, Team player, High Integrity, Ability to work under pressure.
• Ability to lead is advantageous.
• Problem Solving skills are advantageous.
• Retail trade or Healthcare experience is advantageous.
• On hand experience of working on ERP viz. SAP Business One is advantageous.
• Fully aware of all advance Microsoft Excel functions for analysis of data.
• Company started in 1959 and now has nearly 40 branches in Kenya
• Growing SME with high growth ambitions
• Finance and accounts department team size 15+