JOB TITLE: Finance Manager
REPORTING TO: Deputy Director
The organization is a community based organization that established operations in Garissa County in the North Eastern frontier of Kenya in the year 2017.
This was necessitated against the backdrop of the dire need for interventions designed to address the sidelined interests of minorities and marginalized communities in ASALs, and the great potential in the county that needs to be harnessed through implementation of sustainable programs and strategic partnerships and networks.
The organization, endeavors to impact positively on the lives of the people of Garissa County by championing and advocating the rights of Garissa people as pertains to the below thematic areas;
1. Access to quality health care;
2. Sustainable economic empowerment;
3. A well conserved environment;
4. Empowerment of youth, women, girls and differently-abled persons;
5. Education for all;
6. The need for peace building thus contributing to improved livelihoods and overall well-being of the citizens of Garissa.
The Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for all aspects of the financial management and administration for all Funds. The Finance and Administration Manager is expected to provide sound financial advice and effective financial management as well as manage the administrative functions of the organization. This position is a full-time, regular position and reports to and works most closely with the Deputy Director and the Executive Director.
Key Duties/ Responsibility
• Establishes effective accounting and bookkeeping systems and procedures and oversees accounting services.
• Establishes and implements internal controls, and administrative systems, policies and procedures to ensure that the NGO’s day-to-day operational activities are efficient and effective, and are in-line with approved strategic initiatives and budgetary allocations
• Manage accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, Funds/donations processing and receipting, payment of invoices, payroll and bills.
• Maintain parallel records of income and expenditure in financial database.
• Maintain an accurate asset register and regularly track and reconcile all the organizations assets
• Ensures adequate cash flow for the organization’s requirements, by monitoring funder remittances, and preparing requests for funds as needed
• Prepares and presents quarterly and yearly financial budgets and cash flow forecasts, and works with Directors to actively monitor and understand budget variances.
• Prepare budgets and reports on expenditure for donors by set deadlines.
• Ensures and reviews monthly financial statements from the accountant and prepare narrative reports for the review of the board of directors and Executive Director.
• Manages bank accounts and monitors reconciliations, transactions including wire transfers, credit cards, renewal of Certificates of Deposit, and keeping track of signing authorities.
• Prepares documents and schedules for annual audit, and liaises with auditors.
• Manages liquidity, investments, and foreign exchange per established policies and procedures.
• Works with the Directors to proactively mitigate financial and legal risks to the organization and its board members.
• Ensures that activities and policies meet board policies and directions, criteria by funders, as well as legislative requirements in both the Garissa and Nairobi Offices in which the organization operates.
• Recommends policies and procedures in areas encompassing finance and accounting, privacy, IT, compensation for the consideration of the Executive Director and board of directors.
• In close consultation with the Executive Director and Board Treasurer, establishes a relationship with each board member so that each individual has an opportunity to understand fully the key financial issues confronting the organization.
• Coordinate organization of board and advisory committee meetings, including preparation and dissemination of background documents, hotel arrangements, etc.
• Ensures reporting obligations to donors, funders, development partners etc. are completed in a timely and accurate fashion.
Human resources and administration
• Oversees recruitment of staff, consultants, interns and volunteers
• Maintains personnel files, health benefits and other insurances updated.
• Applies the Kenya’s relevant employment law and statutory to the organization’s HR and other complimenting policies
• Maintain basic administrative systems for the funds, including information resources, general filing, electronic filing, personnel records, contracts and leases, subscriptions, insurance, etc.
• Ensures the effective development and administration of IT systems, such as databases, email, cloud filing, back-up and online communication tools including Skype, websites, and other web/video/audio conferencing systems
• Manage incoming telephone and mail communications.
• Manage grant administration to organizations including overseeing grant contracts and wire transfers to grantee partners
• Oversee the reception of timely and complete narrative and financial reports from grantee partners
• Realizes random audits to grantees and provides financial support and training for grantees.
Organization impact /influence
Extensive operational interaction with (internal)
Close interaction with Executive Director, Deputy Director, Human Resources, Monitoring and Evaluation, Program Manager, Resource Mobilization, Program officers, Office Administrator and all the other staff members
External Interactions With
Donors, Financial organizations- banks and auditing firms, suppliers, government and other organizations.
Reviews all expenditures.
Ensures policy /procedures compliance
Critical Technical Skills and Competencies
-Knowledge of major donor funding regulations is preferred.
-Proficiency in Microsoft office skills MS Excel and Quick Books.
-Minimum 3-5 years’ prior experience in a senior management finance position, including at least 3 years with a nonprofit/philanthropic organization
-Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in financial management, in particular in the development, monitoring and reporting on the financial status of the organization and programs
-Ability to work under competing priorities with strict deadlines
-Have a personal commitment to work as a reliable, honest and trustworthy team member.
-Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative team approach.
-Good judgement, tact, analytical and negotiation skills
-Have customer relations skills and to deal patiently with all categories of staff.
-Good time management skills and be able to deliver with minimal supervision. -Ability to contribute to the overall objectives, mission and goals of the organization
-Experience working in a women’s funds or an international organization with staff in multiple counties.
-Knowledge of finance and accounting regulations in Kenya and international auditing standards.
-Experience working with multiple currencies.
-Courses or certificates in executive leadership, women's/feminist studies, financial management and human resource management.
Related Job Requirements / Qualifications
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Economics or other relevant area of study.
- Must have professional qualification with a minimum of CPA-K
Problem Solving/ Judgement & Decision Making
Challenging /unique situations may rise especially as relates to finance and procurement.
The position will be based in Nairobi, with frequent travel to the field.
This position will evolve. Responsibilities and job description may be reviewed and refined with changing organizational needs
HOW TO APPLY
Apply via "Apply Now Button".
Please include Finance and Administration Manager in the subject line. No phone calls please. Only successful portal applications will be accepted.
We thank all who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The organization encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work.