Manage Financial Systems (50%)
• Manage and oversee the finance team, which includes a Senior Accountant
• Ensure the smooth running of the finance function in both Nairobi offices
• Proactively liaise with auditors and manage the relationship to ensure timely completion of entity audits
• Oversee the performance of our service providers in Kenya (eg fund administrators, accountants)
• Supervise creation of annual budgets
• Support on quarterly, annual and ad-hoc investor reporting
• Lead key fund operations such as (but not limited to) the valuing investments, allocating remaining reserves to portfolio companies and monitoring the long-term performance of the fund
Portfolio Company support (40%)
• Develop an understanding of the finance challenges that individual portfolio companies face
• Provide project-based finance support to portfolio companies as and when needed
• Support portfolio companies with recruitment in their finance function, (including but not limited to mapping out technical role requirements and involvement in the interview process)
• Identify patterns of frequent finance challenges and design and then lead portfolio wide scalable solutions.
• Identify best practices within the portfolio and facilitate the sharing of these across the portfolio
• Continuously keep abreast of market trends, proactively gather learning’s and share insights with the team and portfolio companies
Build a dynamic pool of finance providers (10%)
• Develop a deep understanding of finance service providers across the markets we operate in order to understand: their expertise, value, differentiating factor, quality of delivery, and understanding of fast-growing businesses
• Dynamically adjust the list of providers as they leave and enter the market and as we gain experience working with them
• Act as the matchmaker that efficiently connects our portfolio companies with the right finance support
• Advice the companies in selecting the best and most relevant provider based on their needs.
• Closely oversee delivery and assess quality of outputs.
• You have at least 8-9 years of work experience in a finance function and are a qualified accountant. You have experience preparing management and annual accounts, managing ongoing accounting and finance activities (e.g., payroll, filing taxes)
• You have built financial systems in a fast growing organization and understand the challenges faced
• You have experience in managing people and teams, including an accounting team
• You love the culture and dynamics of fast-growing organizations. Preferably you have been an entrepreneur in the past, have worked in a fast-growing organization, or are in constant contact with entrepreneurs
• You have a proven track record in building impactful and efficient accounting and finance functions
• You easily build rapport and relationships with ambitious entrepreneurs
• You are a keen listener with great ability to “hear beyond the words”. You are naturally able to sense issues in a team and what individuals need
• You have proven track record, creating, building and influencing diverse stakeholder relationships to achieve a common goal
• You are conversant with using excel skills to build financial
• Your written communication is strong, and have the ability to write proposals
• Are conversant with local business practices, and have a good understanding of how businesses run
• You have worked in multicultural and diverse environments
• You have a proven ability to quickly connect dots, see patterns, identify causes and propose impactful solutions
• You have the proven ability to create and execute result-oriented projects in a highly demanding environment, and manage multiple projects at a time
• You are able to monitor ongoing projects and produce regular reports to various stakeholders
• You are a fast learner, who is comfortable with ambiguity and able to adapt and thrive in frequently changing environments
• You are known for your strong ability to make things happen
Let’s Hear From you if
• You believe in the potential of ambitious entrepreneurs to transform millions of lives and are committed and eager to help shape this dream.
• You love and value working and growing your career in a culturally rich and diverse work setting
• You enjoy working in small teams where openness, flat structure and meritocracy are key drivers for collaboration
• You listen carefully and respectfully to differing views and embrace constructive criticism
• You are results oriented go-getter with an entrepreneurial approach to everyday challenges
• You are not surprised or deterred when things go wrong.
How to Apply
• Tailor your CV to this opportunity, showcasing your relevant past roles clearly.