Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest private aid organizations in Germany, with no political or religious affiliation. It was founded in 1962 under the umbrella of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). At that time, it was the German section of the ‘Freedom from Hunger Campaign’, one of the first global initiatives for the fight against hunger. Welthungerhilfe works under the leadership of an honorary board and the patronage of the German Federal President. We provide integrated aid: from rapid disaster relief to long-term development cooperation projects. Welthungerhilfe in Kenya implements a range of activities including: (i) Water Sanitation and Hygiene, (ii) Agriculture and Natural Resource Management, (iii) Disaster Risk Management and Climate Change Adaptation, and (iv) Social Development and Education.
We are currently looking for qualified personnel to fill the position of Finance Officer, for a fixed term period of one year to be based at our country office in Nairobi.
• Ensuring that financial administrative processes in the Country office are auditable and efficient.
• Supporting and instructing projects and projects partner organizations in matters relating to financial management.
• Monitor and react to emerging financial risks related to co-funding.
• Maintain a system for high quality verification of expenditures and supporting documentation.
• Implement, maintain and monitor a system for checking eligibility of expenses in relation to donor regulations and Welthungerhilfe regulations.
• Assist in preparing financial reports for grants at periodic intervals and submit them to Head of Finance for review.
• Hold monthly finance meetings and work with budget holders and the heads of emergency programme to develop a monitoring system to review the financial status of budget expenditure and to identify and solve any current or potential issues.
• Coordinating the training of nationals and expatriate staff and project partner organizations.
• Coordinating and supervising the country office statements on audit and accounting reports and checking the implementation of appropriate recommendations and requirements.
• Involvement in all financial administrative matters with actual and potential co-financers on location, including maintaining contacts and examining financing modalities regarding ongoing and planned individual projects.
To qualify as Finance Officer, the candidate must poses the following:
• 5 or more years of progressive financial management experience is required.
• A holder of Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance
• CPA (K) Finalist
• 5 years’ experience in grants management as well as an understanding of donor regulations. Eg BMZ, USAID, DFID and EU.
• Three years of experience in an international NGO/UN field office is preferred.
• Demonstrated experience and skill in budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports. Proven experience working with partners
• Strong Accounting skills and experience, including management of general ledgers, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheets.
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
• Supervisory skills and strong organizational skills.
• Strong team player with ability to maintain positive attitude under pressure
• Excellent oral and written English skills
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their applications with the position applied for as the subject (Finance Officer). The application should include a one page cover letter clearly stating their motivation, qualifications, salary expectation and a detailed CV with contact details of three referees, two of which must be from previous employment to:firstname.lastname@example.org
The Human Resources Manager,
Welthungerhilfe / German Agro Action,
P.O Box 38829-00623
Application deadline: 18th November 2021
• Availability: Latest by 1st January 2022
• Duty station: Nairobi
• Contract Length: One year contract renewable depending on performance and funds availability
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Welthungerhilfe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices neither does it charge any fee for recruitment.