We are currently recruiting a Finance Officer to support our evolving operations and bolster our Global Finance team. The position will provide a broad range of support to core and field operations functions across Blue Ventures, promoting the timely, accurate processing and recording of financial transactions, helping to ensure reliable financial reporting within a high-growth NGO.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
Location: London or Bristol (UK), Kenya & Tanzania. Our UK hybrid working policy currently requires attendance in the office at least two days per week.
Closing date for applications: 27.11.2022
Contract status: International post, full-time
Start date: ASAP
Contract duration: Permanent
Remuneration: Competitive based on location and experience
Salary Band: Officer
We rebuild tropical fisheries with coastal communities
Blue Ventures is a marine conservation organisation that puts people first. We support coastal fishers in remote and rural communities to rebuild fisheries and restore ocean life.
Our work began two decades ago in Madagascar’s remote coastal communities and is growing globally.
Across a dozen countries, we’re partnering with traditional fishers and community organisations to design, scale, strengthen and sustain fisheries management and conservation at the community level. We bring partners together in networks to advocate
for reform, and share tools and best practices to support fishing communities across the globe.
Summary job description
We are currently recruiting a Finance Officer to support our evolving operations and bolster our Global Finance team. The position will provide a broad range of support to core and field operations functions across Blue Ventures, promoting the timely, accurate processing and recording of financial transactions, helping to ensure reliable financial reporting within a high-growth NGO. The role entails working as part of an interdisciplinary and international team, with excellent opportunities for professional development. Reporting to the Finance Manager, this is a full-time role based in Blue Ventures’ London headquarters.
The successful candidate will be a motivated, proactive and highly organised individual, with an excellent knowledge of bookkeeping, requirements of demonstrating an analytical and methodical approach to problem solving and providing guidance to less experienced non-finance staff, largely based in a variety of international tropical and subtropical locations.
We are looking for an individual who is open to new ideas and embraces innovation, who can demonstrate experience of building financial capacity and responding to a variety of finance challenges as part of a close-knit team. You will work closely with the Finance Manager and have regular access to the Finance Director. Assessment of applications will include candidates’ alignment with BV’s core values and mission to support human rights-based approaches to marine conservation and fisheries management.
You will thrive in environments that are collegiate and ambitious, and be able to demonstrate experience of working independently and solving complex problems in challenging situations, and have a proven track record of communicating effectively and
professionally and managing competing priorities to meet deadlines reliably.
- Coordination of collating any supporting documents required by month-end tasks
- Identification of process improvements for more accurate and timely transaction processing
- Support international finance team with extraction and management of financial information where required
- Completion of balance sheet account reconciliations as part of the month end process
- Check and reconcile all accounts on Purchase Ledger and Sales Ledger each month
- Weekly bank reconciliations for all UK bank accounts
- Credit and Equals (prepaid) card reconciliations
- Support on reconciliation of staff advance balances
- Daily check for income received in UK bank accounts, update relevant staff when funds are received, confirm project code and post in the finance system
- Ensure sufficient funds on bank accounts prior to processing payments
- Uploading credit card, equals card and bank statements to the finance system
- Weekly payment run and posting of bank payments
- Review and post invoices from the post batch
- Review and synchronise staff expense claims
- Process POs and match invoices to POs
- Review of purchase inbox as required to ensure kept in good order
- Confirmation of payments to BV/suppliers staff via email on purchase inbox
- Uploading weekly currency rates
- Manage and process finance recode request
- Helping finance system users’ enquiries via internal chat platform as required
- Support the development of new or improved processes and policies where necessary
- Support on other ad-hoc tasks where required
Skills and experience
- Fully qualified AAT, or part qualified AAT
- Demonstrable excellent attention to detail
- Excellent skills in communicating to a diverse range of stakeholders
- Ability to prioritise workload and work to tight deadlines
- Ability to work proactively, and take initiative
- Can-do attitude, flexibility and ability to work well in a team
- Extensive relevant experience of working in finance team
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, and an ability to continually identify improvements to systems and processes
- Extensive experience in Balance Sheet account reconciliations
- Advanced Excel skills (basic formulas, vlookups, pivots as a minimum)
- Patient and understanding toward cultural differences
- Experience working with multi-currency ledgers
- Excellent knowledge of Access Dimensions finance system
- Previous international organisation/ NGO/charity experience
- Experience of the small-scale fisheries, marine conservation or rural development sectors, working with institutional partners, conservation and development sectors.
- Competency in Malagasy, French, Spanish, Bahasa, Portuguese etc
You will be a great fit if
⇀ You show a commitment to Blue Ventures’ mission and values, evidenced by exhibiting a high level of personal and professional integrity, humility and humanity.
⇀ You demonstrate a strong bias for action and comfort with the uncertain; you are motivated to move forward, make decisions, and finalise details quickly once information is available.
⇀ You’ve shown a willingness and ability to challenge the status quo creatively and productively.
⇀ You have an analytical mindset and orientation toward measurement, outcomes and continuous improvement and learning. You value in others, and yourself, data-driven and consultative decision-making.
⇀ You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism.
⇀ You’re a natural relationship builder and have a proven ability to work collaboratively with others in a complex organisation, demonstrating team building and facilitation skills. You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and
⇀ You’re a people person who takes pride and pleasure in developing talent and creating safe, happy, productive and engaging workplace cultures and environments for staff at all levels and from varied backgrounds. You crave building teams, finding
talent, nurturing relationships, and tackling challenging people-related issues.
⇀ You are a passionate professional who combines strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach.
⇀ You’re able to engage people’s energies, hearts and minds in service of a mission.
You use exemplary interpersonal skills to establish relationships of trust and influence
⇀ You’re detail-oriented and compliance-minded; you enjoy dotting i’s and crossing t’s
⇀ You demonstrate excellent organisational skills, an ability to marshall resources, and continually improve systems and processes.
⇀ You show self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment.
⇀ You’re trustworthy in managing sensitive situations and information; you are discrete, professional, and possess excellent judgement
⇀ You are comfortable with a playfully professional workplace culture.
We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit. We welcome candidates from countries in which Blue Ventures operates. We offer a supportive environment for professional development, as well as a competitive salary.
This job description details the main duties and responsibilities for the position. However team members are required to show flexibility in their approach to work and be willing to undertake other tasks that are reasonably allocated to them but which are not part of their regular job description.
We are a mission-driven organisation, and senior staff in particular are expected to show willingness to adapt to unexpected changes that come with growth − this may include occasional work whenever or wherever requested by their line manager. Where any task becomes a regular part of someone’s responsibilities, the job description will be updated in consultation with the team member.
Blue Ventures is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young and vulnerable people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. We take a zero tolerance approach to anyone who contravenes our safeguarding and protection policies. All candidates will be asked questions on safeguarding and child protection.
Applicants should apply online via Blue Ventures’ website by 27th November 2022.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and first-round interviews may be conducted with short-listed candidates before the application deadline.
Why work with us
Mission: We operate at the frontline of some of the world's most pressing environmental problems, innovating effective, equitable and scalable responses with coastal communities.
We are recognised as a transformative force in our sector.
Working style: We're a fast-moving social enterprise, quick to embrace and implement promising ideas without bureaucracy.
Autonomy: We expect and support our colleagues to take a lead in their own work, offering scope for creativity and strategic input.
Professional development: We challenge and support our colleagues to grow their skills, providing considerable exposure to different work experiences and training opportunities.
Adventure: We offer extensive opportunities for travel, working in diverse environmental and cultural contexts.
Family: We look out for one another as we work closely together in challenging situations, celebrating successes and spurring each other on when the going gets tough.
Values: Our organisational values are central to everything we do:
Above all, we listen to community needs, responding in a sensitive and pragmatic way for lasting benefits.
Passion & belief
Our mission is urgent and critical, we believe that our approach works, and we’re determined to get the job done.
Valued people & effective teams
We work in diverse and inclusive teams where all members have a voice and influence.
Innovation & courage
We’re resourceful and creative.
We’re prepared to take risks and challenge broken paradigms.
Openness & humility
We work in a transparent and collaborative way to share what we learn.
Grounded in evidence
We have high standards and aren’t afraid to be self-critical. If something doesn’t work, we change tack until we’re on the right course.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured