Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Nairobi*, Kenya
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 27 October 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management in Mogadishu, Somalia, under the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer in Mogadishu, Somalia and, under the administrative supervision of the Head of Office in IOM Somalia Office in Nairobi, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating and monitoring the budgetary, administrative and financial resources functions of IOM Somalia in Nairobi and other Sub-Offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide administrative support in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities of IOM Somalia in Nairobi including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake preliminary financial analysis of projects in the respective Somalia Office.
Provide input for and coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures. Establish work priorities and coordinate the accounts payable and treasury activities in consultation with RMOs to ensure that treasury functions of IOM Somalia mission are efficient and timely and adequate internal controls are in place.
Apply adequate administrative instructions and application of internal control procedures to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud. Alert the supervisor in a timely manner of unusual or irregularities regarding transactions, and delays impacting timely reporting.
Ensure that accounting data is properly entered in PRISM, in accordance with IOM financial rules and practices, and maintain accurate records of PRISM entries including hard copies of all vouchers and supporting documentations.
Assist the Head of Resources Management by preparing portions of the annual budget for Somalia, in coordination with the relevant Project Managers. Monitor the budget control process and analyse variances between budget(s) and actual expenditures of Nairobi and other sub-offices on a monthly basis and assist in the preparation of budgets for new projects.
Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM's projectization criteria.
Follow up on advances/long pending balances in vendor accounts and work closely with relevant units to ensure timely settlement and to keep vendor balances to the minimum.
Assist with audits and verifications and other ad-hoc reports by ensuring that required documentation is available in a timely and effective manner including archived documents.
Provide support and information to Project Managers throughout the project cycle to facilitate compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor-specific requirements.
Review existing business processes and propose improvements to RMOs to ensure efficiency of operations and full utilization of the ERP system. Make recommendations on procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
Assist the Head of Resources Management to liaise with other internal functional units of the Mission, and provide support in liaising with banking, donors and institutional counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
Travel to support sub-offices when necessary.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Administration, Economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in finance, accounting or financial and operational management services;
• Experience with ERP systems (Oracle, SAP) is an advantage.
• Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
• Ability to prepare concise and clear reports;
• Impeccable track of timely service delivery; and
• Strong ability to plan work ahead and respect deadlines.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 October 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 14.10.2020 to 27.10.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 234 Finance Officer (P2) IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya (56669811) Released
Posting: Posting NC56669812 (56669812) Released