The Kenya Forest Service (KFS) is a State Corporation established by the Forest Conservation & Management Act of 2016. The Service is mandated to conserve, develop and sustainably manage forests and allied resources for environmental stability and the social-economic development of the people of Kenya. In line with the provisions of the Forest Conservation and Management Act of 2016 the Service wishes to recruit a competent and qualified person to fill the following vacant position:
2. FOREST CONSERVATION COMMITTEE (FCC) CHAIRPERSONS REF-KFS/FCC/2020
In accordance with Section 48 of the Forests Act, the Service created ten (10) Forest Conservancy Areas to oversee the proper and efficient management of forests, each with a ten (10) member Forest Conservation Committee (FCC) headed by chairperson who is appointed by the Board of Directors. The Service requests applicants to forward their applications for the positions of Forest Conservation Committee Chairpersons in the following Forest Conservancy Areas: Mau, Nyanza, Western, North Rift, Central Highlands, Ewaso North, North Eastern, Coast and Nairobi.
Duties and responsibilities
• The FCC Chairperson will provide overall leadership of the FC to ensure quality performance and effective execution of the mandate and functions.
• He/she will work closely with representatives from other government agencies (provincial administrative, agricultural and environment), representatives of the forest industry and Community Forestry Associations to ensure the sustainable management of the forest and allied resources.
• Guide strategy and help define key issues for the FCC.
• Chair FCC meetings and ensure preparation of papers, reports and decision-making.
• Bring goodwill and enthusiasm to the FCC.
• Maintain independence and objectivity in deliberating all FCC matters.
• Encourage high standards of propriety, ensuring that FCC members comply with a Code of Conduct.
• Provide an assessment of performance of individual FCC members.
• Ensure succession plans are in place for the FCC
• Ensure government policies, legislation and sustainable forest management practices are adhered to.
Academic qualifications, experience and other requirements
The applicant Must Have;
i. At least ten (10) years knowledge and experience in forestry management, five must have been senior management position with a large organization
ii. Have at least an undergraduate degree in Forestry, Social Sciences or a related field from a recognized University
iii. Be able to think strategically, communicate effectively and provide leadership
iv. Have knowledge and understanding of public sector operational procedures
v. Reside in the respective Forest Conservancy Area where He /She wishes to serve
vi. Be a Person of high integrity who meets requirements of the Constitution of Kenya
In order to protect the Service and the FCC from potential ignominy, candidates must declare in their applications any conflict of interest in regard to their candidature for the respective FCC.
How to Apply
The detailed advertisement with all the job descriptions and requirements is found in the Kenya Forest Service Web Site: http://www.kenyaforestservice.org (under jobs)
Interested candidates who meet the requirements are asked to apply while clearly indicating reference number for the position. Applications including current curriculum vitae, indicating current and expected remuneration, mobile number, names and contact details of three referees, copy of national identity card, copies of testimonials, copies of professional and academic certificates and copies of statutory requirements clearly marked with reference number for each position- should either be sent through the post office or hand delivered to the following address in a sealed envelope marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF SENIOR MANAGER FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION /FOREST CONSERVATION COMMITTEE CHAIR – KFS” ; so as to reach the Service not later than 10th August, 2020 by 5.00 pm.
Chief Conservator of Forests,
Kenya Forest Service, Karura, Off Kiambu Road,
P. O. Box 30513-00100, G.P.O.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification. The Service is ISO accredited and an equal opportunity employer. Applicants living with disabilities and those from marginalized areas and minority communities are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on the Service, please visit our website; www.kenyaforestservice.org.