Employer: Dynamic start-up in the energy sector
Nairobi – Full time
About the company
Our client is a dynamic start-up in the renewable energy sector developing both on-grid and off-grid renewable energy projects.
Our mission is to provide reliable, affordable and sustainable access to energy in regions that do not have this today. We believe that electricity will be the engine towards welfare and growth in rural Africa.
We use an innovative solution that relies on the most efficient, affordable and sustainable source of energy: hydropower. We harvest the power of running water and then transform it into electricity that is supplied to the national grid or distributed directly to households and businesses.
We develop small hydro projects from A to Z meaning we identify suitable locations, assess the technical & economic feasibility, we then design, finance & build the power plants and remain involved in the maintenance & operations once the plant is operational.
As part of our continued growth in Kenya and the EAC region, we are looking for a Fundraising and Business Development Officer to support us identify and pursue project financing opportunities (grants, equity & debt) as well as new market opportunities.
Do you have a proven track record with fundraising, you are efficient and can work independently, you are not shy to pick up the phone and master the art of inspirational writing? Then reach out to us with your application and motivation letter!
Minimum qualification: Bachelor’s in business management, marketing, communication or equivalent
Experience level: mid-level
Experience length: min. 5 years
The Fundraising and Business Development officer will report to the Managing Director and will be supported by the Operations Manager.
• Perform research on funding opportunities for renewable energy projects
• Develop a lead database to capture information on relevant stakeholders & funding opportunities
• Identify and pursue opportunities for relationship building with key donors and financing partners
• Develop and build a pipeline of applications for grants, business competitions and project finance opportunities
• Draft compelling fundraising documents such as Expression of Interest, Proposals and Concept Notes in collaboration with the Managing Director
• Prepare commercial presentations and proposals in collaboration with the Managing Director
• Prepare high quality investor and stakeholder reports of interim and final activities that reflect the progress of the project in transparent, timely and professional manner
• Assist in managing the company’s branding activities and media campaigns, social media handles, website management and other marketing collaterals
• Research the market to identify new business opportunities, potential partnerships and clients
• Develop and deliver pitches for potential investors.
• Participate in, and/or lead, proposal writing for new and existing clients
Experience & skills
• You have 5 – 10 years’ experience in fundraising or business development, ideally within a startup environment or in the energy sector
• You have experience with donor-based & private funding channels
• You have a basic knowledge & understanding of finance
• You are self-motivated, well-organized and follow through
• You work autonomously and deliver on agreements with minimal supervision
• You are flexible and able to deliver under time pressure
• You have excellent writing skills and deliver high quality work
• You have an outgoing personality, are customer oriented and build long lasting relationships with business partners and clients
• Fluency in English is a must, knowledge of Swahili and French is a plus
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word is a must.
• You can provide minimum 2 references from a previous employer.
- An entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment
- Flexibility and autonomy to organize your work while meeting deadlines and expectations
- Opportunity to grow along with the company and take up senior responsibilities
- Competitive salary