Location: Nairobi, Kenya
We are a private investment company focused on early-stage venture investments in Eastern Africa. We currently have portfolio investments in 6-8 companies. We look for bright talent and ambitious teams who are building solutions to large and growing problems. We focus on engineering excellence and technical talent in the founding team. We look for solutions that can lead to positive social or environmental outcomes for Africa and our growing populations. We invest in people with the ability to execute consistently, learn voraciously, and scale ambitiously.
We make initial seed investments of $100k to $500K in companies operating in Eastern Africa, and we have committed financial capacity to follow on in portfolio companies as they grow. We are a commercial investor committed to taking a fair, nimble, and entrepreneur-friendly approach with our investments. We also intentionally prioritise the positive impact that our portfolio companies create, and we track these core impact metrics alongside their commercial performance.
What You Will Do
Key responsibilities of the General Manager role will initially revolve around supporting 4 key areas – these will develop over time:
1. Overall Management of the Company – Reporting to the Board of Directors. You will be responsible for the day to day affairs of the company including reporting, accounts, statutory compliances. For this purpose you will oversee the work of company employees and also external service providers.
2. Pipeline: You will become the first point of contact for potential investees. This will involve early review of company information, conversations with management teams, as well as tracking, management, and prioritisation of the investment pipeline.
3. Due Diligence: You will coordinate the due diligence process for companies in the advanced pipeline. This includes financial and legal review of the information received from potential investee companies, arranging site visits and market surveys as may be required. You will work closely with the Investment Committee to reach an informed investment decision.
4. Fund Raising: You will lead the company’s fund raising activities and support the capital structuring. This will include meeting and making presentations to potential institutional and/ or individual investors and arranging any roadshows and marketing events by the company.
5. Portfolio management: You will be responsible for maintaining contact with our portfolio companies post investment. This will require active monitoring and support for portfolio companies depending on their needs, and will require a consultative and solution-oriented approach. You will also support in the preparation of commercial and impact reporting to the shareholders of Cornerstone.
6. Communication: You will be responsible for keeping the members/ investors in Cornerstone advised on developments within the company as well as on the performance of the overall portfolio as well as individual companies.
Who You Are
- At least 10 years’ experience in senior managerial positions
- Positive, open team player who has loads of energy, and relishes a fast-moving environment with constant learning and lots of feedback
- Investment experience (Venture Capital, Private Equity, Hedge Fund, or Investment Banking) and - Strong quantitative and analytical skills will be an added advantage
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Self-starter with strong organisational and time-management skills
- Structured thinker confident sharing informed views and making difficult decisions
Salary – KES 300,000 – KES 350,000 Gross dependent on experience