Job Title : Head Chef
Location : Westlands, Nairobi.
Term of Service : 3-months’ probation period, renewable to 1-year contract upon satisfactory performance.
Who are We
Our restaurant is reimagining the concept
of casual dining, our restaurant is located in the heart of Westlands. Our
cuisine offers a fresh and colorful culinary experience reminiscient of the
actual Spring season by our use of fresh ingredients, bold plating and a burst
of flavours. At the heart our restaurant is a modern open concept kitchen
because we believe the kitchen is the core of our cooking and that magic
happens when dining at our restaurant.
We invite you to be a part of this team by submitting your application for the following roles
Main Purpose & Scope of the Job
The Head Chef will be responsible for the entire smooth running of the kitchen and manage areas of profit, stock, wastage control, hygiene practices and training within the kitchen.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Ensure that all the food prepared in the restaurant is of the highest standard and service
• Liaise with the Head Waiter to ensure that all special requests from customers have been served accordingly, for optimum customer satisfaction.
• Attend to customer complaints and resolve them in a timely manner
• Ensure adequate supplies of stocks, for effective functioning of the kitchen team.
• Ensure sound and safe maintenance of kitchen machines and equipment for preventative maintenance.
• Prepare the kitchen duty roster and ensure that all the duties in the kitchen are covered to satisfaction, to guarantee effective provision of services.
• Inspect foodstuff being supplied are of the highest quality
• Prepare cost effective menus for all meals, and special requests to ensure consistency of quality and to minimize waste while maintaining updated and accurate costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the Food and Beverage operation.
• Ensure timely provision of meals to maintain customer satisfaction.
• Ensure food safety practices in accordance with HACCP practice.
• Inducts new staff, trains, develops and motivates kitchen staff to meet and exceed established food preparation standards on a regular and consistent basis.
• Teaches preparation according to well defined recipes and follows up and discusses ways of constantly improving the menus at the restaurant.
• Display exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counselling employees as appropriate and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management.
• Provide direction for all day-to-day operations in the kitchen and guidance to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Understand employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence and kitchen staff.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Delegates as appropriate to develop subordinates to accept responsibility and meet clearly defined goals and objectives.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Ensures compliance of the employees and the restaurant with food handling and sanitation standards.
• Ensures all equipment in the kitchen is properly maintained and in working order in accordance with the Public Health requirements and restaurant standards.
• Reviews comment cards for guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
• Coordinates with the purchasing department for the acquisition of needed goods and services.
• Ensure all products are prepared in a consistent manner and meet departmental appearance/quality standards.
• Ensure proper grooming and hygiene standards for all kitchen staffs.
• Ensure proper purchasing, receiving and food storage standards in the kitchen.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on food quality, presentation and service levels.
• Follows and enforces all applicable safety procedures specified for kitchen and food servers.
• Discuss daily food cost reports with key kitchen and F&B team members.
• Review weekly and monthly schedules to meet forecast and budget.
• Trains kitchen associates on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations. Also interview and hire new applicants for kitchen.
• Frequently review finished products for quality and presentation before the orders are send to guest.
• Able to perform additional duties as requested by the restaurant management as and when required.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to restaurant operational Standard and Management Policy.
• Monitors proper hygiene and safety standards in the kitchen.
• Diploma in Food production
• Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in a similar capacity with a strong background in HACCP procedures and application.
• Training in fire fighting, first-aid and life saving skills.
• Good inter-personal skills
• An up-to-date Medical Food Handlers Certificate
• Flexible and able to work for long hours.
• Planning and organizational skills
• Problem solving skills
• Customer service skills
• Good communication and leadership skills
How to apply
Interested applicants to send their CVS with the title “HEAD CHEF”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.