About the Role:
The overall objective of this role is to identify, evaluate and monitor the non-performing loan accounts and implement a recovery action plan to achieve timely and maximum recovery at a minimal cost and appropriate turn-around time by the Collections Team. The role holder will be responsible for leading the Collections team and ensure that high quality, business-focused, efficient and cost-effective service to maximize amounts recovered from the clients, while providing excellent service and actively building customer relationships. Handling portfolio of delinquent loan facilities issued with the objective of putting in place and adopting appropriate strategies within policy guidelines and regulation to minimize credit losses.
Reports to: Chief Risk and Operations Officer
Head of Collections Responsibilities:
- Analyse progressing trends that affect the collectables of the portfolio and isolate potential problem areas.
- Monitor loan repayments across regions, initiate/recommend the best course of action.
- Manage relationships with External Service providers on NPA matters i.e. Credit Reference Bureau, Debt collectors, auctioneers etc.
- Champion and lead all collection activities i.e. field visits (on a need basis) and telephone calls to follow up on payments from NPA debtors.
- Ensure timely reporting on the portfolio health.
- Cross-market portfolio maintenance. Implement credit policies and procedures in the new markets that retain smooth running and avoid excessive credit limits.
- Monitor debt collection response cycles and contacts as well as credit control performance.
- Define resource management, work prioritization and procedures, to maximize productivity and success levels.
- Develop goals and strategies that complement the overarching business goals of the company and coordinate staff to continually meet and exceed goals.
- Cultivating and overseeing bottom-line metrics, operational optimization including detailed strategic analysis, forecasting, portfolio and account follow-up.
- Implementing new strategies and tactics to improve collections and recovery performance, training and coaching staff to improve performance.
- Recruit, hire, train and evaluate staff members within the collections department to ensure a sufficient number of staff members are available to handle the workload.
- Report and monitor all risks associated with debt recovery.
- Coordinate activities of staff members to ensure a smooth and efficient department that reduces the number of cases that are overlooked.
- Generate compliance reports for use in decision making and performance appraisals.
- Implementing and enforcing laid down policy in as far as is applicable within areas of responsibility.
- Maintain a consistent reduction of non-performing debts through aggressive recoveries, viable restructuring options and remedial recovery strategy formulation and implementation.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications Required:
- At least five (5) years experience in debt collection or at least two (2) years experience in microfinance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Business-related field.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of recovery processes with a sound understanding of credit life cycle and debt recovery process/techniques.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Proficiency in usage of debt record databases.
- Results-oriented, accountable and proactive.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
- A good listener.
- Aggressive and persistent personality.
- Works well with minimal supervision.
- Report writing and presentation skills.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Head of Collections” and attach a detailed CV with the correct e-mail address and telephone contacts. All written applications and CVs should be submitted via "Apply Now Button".