Greensteds International School – Nakuru - Kenya
Vacancy for September, 2021
Greensteds is a co-educational boarding and day school (IAPS and CIS) following the National Curriculum of England & Wales from Early Years to IGCSE, and A level.
We welcome applicants for the following position falling vacant in September, to join our dynamic and supportive teaching staff:
Head of Sixth Form
Greensteds School is located 140 km north of Nairobi, in the heart of Kenya’s Rift Valley and within ten minutes’ drive of Lake Nakuru National Park. The School is set in a rural secluded, 50-acre site and is one of the leading International boarding schools in Kenya serving internationally minded parents all over the world.
Greensteds has a strong academic record yet places equal emphasis upon commitment to the wide ranging extracurricular programme. Our aim is to provide an enjoyable and challenging learning experience where students are able to acquire all the skills and knowledge necessary for them to become future leaders of good character, ready to make a difference in a global society.
We are a non-selective school with a relatively wide ability range. Being able to inspire pupils of all abilities is essential.
The willingness to take a full and active part in all aspects of a thriving and progressive school is vital, including the ability take an active part in the wider co-curricular programme.
Job & Person Specification: Head of Sixth Form
The successful candidate will be responsible for the continuing development of a thriving, successful, distinctive and globally aware Sixth Form experience.
The role has pastoral, academic and marketing elements and includes responsibility for developing the use of the School’s assets for the Sixth Form and line managing and working collaboratively with staff in charge of sixth Form. The role will also involve working closely with House Parents and Dorm Tutors. It is therefore likely to involve significant strategic, as well as operational responsibility, alongside project management.
The post holder will be accountable to the Deputy Head.
Applicants should have:
• At least a Bachelor’s Degree (BA/B.Ed/BSc) and a teaching qualification.
• Experience as Head of Sixth Form in a progressive British Curriculum School
• Experience and proven success in teaching a subject (History/Geography/Science/English/Music) in the National Curriculum of England and Wales up to A-Level.
• Ability and experience in teaching BTEC Courses
• Ability to coach and mentor Senior School Students
• Have or apply for a ICPC or Good Conduct Certificate
• Willingness to contribute fully to the boarding and extracurricular life of a busy, full boarding school.
The following outline gives an overall range of duties and responsibilities but is not exhaustive and the Head of Sixth Form may be required to undertake such other duties appropriate to the post, as the Headmaster or Governing Body may reasonably require.
• Promoting Greensteds School Sixth Form as an aspiration for internal and external applicants.
• Working with the Headmaster, Deputy Head, Director of Pastoral Care, House Parents, Examinations Officer, Heads of Department and Sixth Form Teachers in promoting enrichment opportunities for Sixth Form developing and preparing Sixth Form students for University and work life.
• Liaise with the Head of Careers in advising students and parents in their University choices and closely monitor university application processes.
• Developing a successful, coherent programme to prepare the most academically capable candidates for entry to leading universities in liaison with the Deputy Head.
• Promoting the role and value of Sixth Form students’ involvement with other year groups formally and informally.
• To ensure the Sixth Form area is kept in good order, ensuring the maintenance of a conducive, safe and orderly environment.
• Working with the Deputy Head Pastoral and HMs to maintain pastoral cohesion and good discipline with the Sixth Form.
• To line manage the Sixth Form Teachers and Tutors;
• To oversee the writing of Sixth Form reports, provision of subject information to parents, parents’ meetings and response to parents’ enquiries, ensuring that high standards are maintained;
• To safeguard students and maintain their health and safety both when they are on the School Premises and when they are engaged in authorized School activities.
• In liaison with the Head of Careers, attend or organize sixth form students to attend and participate, in relevant careers and University fairs
• As member of the Senior Management Team, attend weekly SMT meetings and conduct Sixth Form Tutor meetings, ensuring the provision of agendas and minutes;
• In liaison with Examinations Officer prepare students for mocks, exams and re-sits
• Co-ordinate the Heads of Departments, to assist Year 13 through the clearing procedure and to deal with any queries regarding results
• To conduct individual interviews with Year 11 students and parents (in February) after the mock GCSE examinations.
• To formulate the Sixth Form annual budget, to monitor expenditure and keep an inventory of equipment and other resources.
Greensteds offers a competitive salary, reflective of the level of responsibility and the experience of the successful candidate, with generous allowances for any additional responsibilities candidates may be asked to take on. In normal circumstances, teachers are offered in-patient and Out-Patient medical insurance and school fees reduction for their children. Onsite accommodation may also be available.
Greensteds International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all employees and volunteers to share that commitment. Employment is subject to suitable background checks, including the receipt of satisfactory references, one of which must be from the most recent employer.
The willingness to take a full and active part in all aspects of a thriving and progressive school is vital, including the ability to coach team sports and/or take an active part in the wider co-curricular programme.
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s Degree in the related subject, a teaching qualification, TSC No. and experience in teaching the British Curriculum.
Applicants should e-mail an up-to date CV with a cover letter addressed to the Headmaster stating their teaching speciality and contact details of at least 2 referees (one being your current/most recent employer) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should be the job you’re applying for.
For interested candidates, an early application is encouraged.
Closing date: Friday 23rd October, 2020
Interviews will take place on rolling basis.
Communication about interviews is done strictly through email; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted