OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT
University of Nairobi Enterprises and Services Limited (UNES) was awarded a Cooperative Agreement by USAID in 2016 to implement HealthIT Project. HealthIT is a USAID mechanism whose purpose is to work with the Ministry of Health and Department of Children Services to Strengthen National Policies, Strategies, Standards and Reporting related to Kenya’s Health Information System (HIS) to support County and National Level Health Services. The purpose has two sub purposes: Sub-purpose one delivers strengthened national information systems that support reporting, provide data for decision-making for GoK and Stakeholders, and sub-purpose two delivers improved institutional capacity of national and county MOH on use of health systems, quality data capture and reporting. The project aims to develop and maintain health and child protection information systems to make data available for use in decision making for improved health outcomes.
1. Health Policy and Partnerships Lead (USAID HealthIT PROJECT): UNES/HLIT/HPPL/01/2021
Contract Terms: One-year Renewable with three months probation period
Reporting to the Chief of Party shall be tasked with the following responsibilities:
• Policy synthesis, review and alignment to GOK and global digital health environment.
• Policy dissemination, training and HealthIT strategy formulation and alignment with the bigger GOK policy orientation
• Partnerships and Stakeholder engagement and alignment with:
o National GOK (Ministries of Health, Labor and Social Protection, ICT Youth and Innovation, other public institutions), and the private sector
o County Stakeholder Engagement at the Council of Governors, county leadership and county Government stakeholders
• Support GoK in formulation of policy on digital health where relevant, necessary and appropriate and provide technical advice to HealthIT project
• Review, develop and ensure alignment of HealthIT priorities, strategies and plans to the County’s legal, regulatory, policy, and strategic directions, USAID digital strategy as well as any global development in digital transformation to inform HealthIT Strategic Implementation Framework.
• Develop and maintain an updated and synthesized repository of all digital health related legal, regulatory and policy documents including any changes or amendments.
• Keeping abreast of all policy developments in the health sector sector and related fields, particularly relating to Digital Health and keeping the HealthIT team and partners informed and up to date about said developments.
• Providing contextualized analysis of the policy environment for Digital Health, through research and scoping of existing initiatives, gaps in the sector other key stakeholders such as Ministry of ICT, Communications Authority of Kenya, etc.
• To lead on shaping and developing a clear HealthIT digital policy orientation building on what has been started. In particular this will involve:
o Developing and sustaining HealthIT social capital by networking and maintaining key relationships with Key GoK Ministries (MOH, MOICT, MoLSP), Departments, Agencies (MDAs) and key stakeholders in the sector
o Proactive development of collaboration opportunities, joint research on digital health policy with Government, Universities, and other initiatives
• Representing HealthIT in GoK Working and Advisory Committees, Technical Working Groups and intergovernmental forums.
• Develop and maintain effective and efficient procedures and processes for UNES and HealthIT partnerships with its partnering institutions.
• Oversee, facilitate and coordinate all aspects of partnership life cycle management, from stakeholder analysis, partner identification, due diligence, project development, agreement, start-up, implementation, monitoring through to close-out, coordinating effectively with all program, operations and finance components.
• Coordinate due diligence process with respect to all new partnerships, including through appropriate vetting, coordinating the pre-award assessment with other departments, analysis of risks associated with the award, identification and implementation of appropriate measures to manage those risks, working with other UNES and the project team.
• In collaboration with UNES and the project leadership develop Project Support Plans (PSPs) for each partner/project.
• Ensure the timely review of partners’ financial and narrative reports in accordance with the terms of their partnership agreements in consultation with other project technical and leadership teams
• Contributing to project planning and management. Reporting to Project leadership, contributing to Project team, and providing financial and narrative reports
• Master’s Degree in Health Informatics, Information Systems or related discipline
• Passionate commitment to Digital Health and social change.
• Strong understanding of issues affecting Digital Health in Kenya
• Demonstrable knowledge and experience of policy, partnerships and operations research
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and represent the HealthIT Project externally empathetically and clearly
• Strong writing skills including ability to summarize information into policy briefings or proposals
• Ten years of experience working in or with the Ministry of Health or public sector
• Experience in health informatics is preferable
• Resourceful with an ability to think creatively, see opportunities and take initiative
• Flexible approach to work including excellent time management and self-motivation
• Excellent team working skills and the ability to act independently when necessary.
• Willingness to travel regularly around the country as and when necessary
Applicants interested in the above positions should submit the following:
• Cover letter detailing why you want to be considered for the position, as well as current and expected gross salary.
• Detailed CV including at minimum:
o Biographical data including: Full names, current mailing address, current telephone contacts, email address
o Employment history to date. Ensure that specific start and end dates are included.
o Educational history to date, clearly detailing the program, certificate obtained, and completion date.
o Names of 3 referees with their contacts.
• Copies of ALL academic and professional certificates and testimonials.
• Completed Personal Data Form (Download via the following link:http://unes.co.ke/home.php/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Applicants-Personal-Data-form-UNES-FM-A-022.docx) fully filled and signed
• Indicate the Job Reference Number and Title in your email
• All applications to reach the undersigned on or before January 26, 2021 strictly via the following email firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard Copies will not be accepted.
N/B: Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted. UNES does not require any payment in order to process your applications.
UNES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PERSONS WITH DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY