The ideal candidate should have an engineering background preferably acquired in luxury hotels or commercial buildings.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the job include but are not limited to:
Pre-opening Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop an Engineering pre-opening plan that clearly details the handover of the hotel structure and engineering systems from the contractor
• Check that all mechanical, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems are in good working order
• Ensure that all safety equipment including fire fighting equipment is in good working order
• Liaise with the Housekeeping department to implement an effective snagging process aimed at ensuring that the hotel rooms as well as the public area facilities are in proper working order before the same is offered for sale to hotel guests.
• Ensure compliance with relevant authorities in matters such as health & safety, effluence management, lifts, compressors and boilers
• Determine and advise management on the Engineering equipment needed during the pre-opening and post-opening period
• Determine and advise management on pre-opening and post-opening manpower needs in reference to the Engineering department
• Develop Engineering standard operating procedures that are in line with luxury hotel standards
• Develop and execute training plans for the Engineering pre-opening team
Post-opening Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead the Engineering Department by developing, implementing, and keeping up-to-date policies, procedures, practices and standards, setting departmental objectives in line with the hotel business objectives
• Lead the Engineering team in the day-to-day engineering and maintenance operations of the hotel, including service standards, equipment schedules, and work schedules
• Develop and supervise the implementation of a comprehensive preventive maintenance schedule in reference to the hotel structure, equipment, furniture and fittings.
• Liaise with the Human Resources management department in facilitating the registration of the Hotel with the Directorate of Occupational Safety and Health and ensure annual renewal of the registration
• Plan and manage all new projects, preventative maintenance work, extensions and renovations.
• In liaison with the Housekeeping department, maintain the building exterior and curb appeal of the entire hotel grounds
• Ensure that the Hotel energy is utilized safely, efficiently and effectively
• Select, train, develop, schedule and manage the performance of direct and indirect subordinates to ensure the efficient running of Engineering operations
• Regularly develop and execute training programs for all Engineering staff based on identified performance gaps.
• Communicate with relevant Government agencies to ensure full compliance with statutory regulations especially in reference to health and safety, effluence management, maintenance and inspection of lifts, boilers and compressors.
• Prepare Engineering capital expenditure as well as repairs & maintenance budgets and monitor the implementation of the same
• Manage the sourcing, purchase and inventory of all Engineering equipment necessary to meet quality standards and hotel business needs
• Coordinate and review third party contracts, including Landscaping, Pest management, Décor, and ensure compliance by both parties
• Coordinate Engineering duties with various departments such as Housekeeping, Front Office, and Food & Beverage to ensure that all food & beverage outlets, guestrooms and public areas are well maintained.
• Prepare daily, weekly and monthly departmental reports and send the same to the General Manager within the stipulated deadlines
• Degree or Diploma in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or other similar and relevant training
• Five years’ experience in a supervisory position with extensive working knowledge of Engineering operations in the hotel industry
• Familiar with Hotel Health and Safety management
• Familiar with local government requirements and regulations
• Proficiency in Microsoft Suite applications
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Hotel pre-opening experience will be an added advantage