The ideal candidate should have a luxury hospitality background, should be entrepreneurial, motivated and able to develop and execute operational strategies within a luxury boutique hotel.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the job include but are not limited to:
Pre-opening Duties & Responsibilities
• Provide leadership and oversight in all pre-opening projects and activities and be responsible for timelines, monitoring and evaluation
• Establish staffing requirements and build and a team of hospitality professionals at all levels capable of delivering warm and personalized service at a luxury level and play an integral role in sourcing, selecting, hiring, training and development of the pre-opening team.
• Lead in the development of departmental standard operating procedures and ensure that all team members are trained on the same
• Formulate departmental strategic objectives and operation processes through a definite understanding of the overall hotel vision, concept and expected workflow
• Ensure that the hotel obtains all licenses and permits required for its operation
• In liaison with the Hotel Directors, develop budgets and forecasts regarding, but not limited to business levels, financial requirements, personnel needs and organization plans needed to support the hotel operations
• Develop solid relationships with stakeholders at all levels, from the hotel directors to employees taking direction and giving feedback throughout the pre-opening and postopening journey.
• Prepare and present reports to the Directors on all projects and pre-opening plans.
Post-opening Duties & Responsibilities
Business Strategy Development & Execution
• Develop business plans that support luxury hotel operations aligned to the management and ownership strategy objective to increase market share and optimize profitability
• Assist in the development of departmental business plans and translate them into teammember level tasks that deliver results
• Lead and motivate individual departmental heads to be accountable for the successful execution of their respective departments’ business plans
• Promote a culture of innovation and collaborate with all stakeholders to improve guest satisfaction and profitability.
• Measure and evaluate the success of business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements.
• Continually verify that business plans and actions have a positive impact on the hotel performance.
Guest Satisfaction & Experience
• Foster a refined and attentive service culture that is in keeping with 5-star hotel standards and focus on creating an excellent and memorable guest experience
• Be available during peak arrival, departure and meal hours in order to interact with guests on a frequent basis to obtain feedback about their experience
• Evaluate guest feedback to identify areas of concern and recognize excellent team members
• Ensure that there is prompt response to guests’ inquiries, complaints and comments and hold the management team accountable for addressing service areas of improvement.
• Task the client-facing management team with the development of innovative ways to exceed guests’ expectations
• Anticipate the needs of large groups or high profile guests in order to deliver flawless service
• Lead high-end Rooms Division (Front Office, Housekeeping & Laundry) teams in a luxury environment where the staff follow pre-established standard operating procedures with the aim of exceeding guest expectations.
• Ensure luxury level cleaning and maintenance standards are in place and are flawlessly executed
• Ensure the look, feel and scent throughout the hotel are in keeping with the highest levels of luxury hospitality.
• Ensure landscaping and floral elements are lush and well maintained.
Sales, Marketing & Revenue Management
• Work closely with the Sales & Marketing team to develop revenue budgets and revenue generating strategies
• Ensure that the Sales and Marketing strategy is aligned to the business strategy and is effectively executed against established goals and objectives
• Identify and actively pursue business leads and develop a tailored sales approach to actualize the leads into sales
• Ensure that the Front desk team is trained in up-selling techniques
• Hold the sales team accountable for meeting established sales targets
• Monitor daily, weekly and monthly sales reports and highlight areas of concern where applicable
• Participate in regular sales meetings where hits and misses should be identified
• Actively lead and participate in a culture of revenue maximization
• Lead in cost management at every level in the hotel without compromising on standards
• Establish presence in the market by actively promoting an exemplary image of the hotel and developing strategic alliances with local officials, businesses and customers
• Ensure that proper finance standard operating procedures are adhered to especially in reference to procurement and revenue control systems
• Scrutinize monthly financial reports and seek explanations from departmental heads especially in reference to poor revenues or excessive expenditure
Food & Beverage Management
• Lead the Food & Beverage production and service team in concept,menu development and refinement bearing in mind the current trends and practices.
• Task and motivate the Food & Beverage team to create experiences that wow and delight guests in the luxury market
• Work directly with the Food and Beverage production and service team to execute training, systems, and standards which result in the highest level of food quality, service and overall guest experience.
• Support and ensure accountability of the Food and Beverage leadership team in achieving optimal profitability and other established key performance metrics
• Ensure proper controls are in place to manage food safety, labor, operating expenses and food cost.
• Develop and leverage relationships with key suppliers to ensure that the hotel procures high standard ingredients at reasonable cost
• Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in Hotel/Hospitality Management
• Five years’ experience in a similar position in a 4 or 5 star hospitality establishment
• Sound knowledge of the luxury hospitality sector, the relevant legislation and hotel best practices
• Strong business and financial acumen
• Budget development and management skills, ability to track capital and operational expenditure as well as identify and set financial priorities.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Suite applications, as well as other property management systems utilized in a hotel set up
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Hotel pre-opening experience will be an added advantage