• Strategic direction - Provide professional leadership in implementation of human capital plans and budgets, outlining activities, resource requirements, key performance measures and indicators as well as expected outcomes. Support the MD, and coach the senior team to best engage them to ensure continued strategic success.
• Policy - Develop and implement human resource policies and procedures aimed at enhancing workplace relations in order to gain employee commitment and improve morale by ensuring fairness and equity. Review and ensure clear communication of policies and procedures in line with organizational changes. Work closely with key functional leads across the group to embed any group wide initiatives.
• Work in conjunction with functional leaders to understand current HR business challenges and implement effective, efficient, supportive processes that align with the culture.
• Conduct job analysis in order to develop job descriptions and competency profiles to facilitate human capital planning, staff recruitment and selection, performance management, training and development, job evaluation and pay structure design as well as career planning.
• Recruitment: Conduct workforce analysis, determine optimum staff requirements and design organizational structure that maximizes synergies across functions to support the approved strategic plan.
• Monitor and agree manpower plan with management and submit recruitment authorisation for approval, monitor recruitment processes and time limits. Responsible for the selection and interviewing of senior management positions. Agrees agency fees and sources new suppliers. Authorises all job offers and supports company induction process.
• Performance Management - Manages the initiation and implementation of the annual performance review process, reviews development needs with managers and agrees grading norms. Facilitates and supports the performance management process and develops management knowledge on disciplinary and grievance procedures. Supports managers in development of talent and addressing underperfoamnce through legal processes of performance redresses. Ensure performance is continuously monitored and measured against realistic but challenging targets aligned to the strategic direction
• Training & Development - Working with Managers; identifies training needs and advises on appropriate available courses internally and externally. Monitors value and quality of external courses. Mentors development courses’ candidates.
• Creating engaging succession plans and utilise talent management frameworks to best identify performance improvement needs and action accordingly.
• Industrial relations - develop, review and enforce the corporate strategic industrial relations plan towards maintenance of harmonious industrial relations in the company. Provide timely guidance and support to line managers on best industrial relations practices.
• Monitor and provide guidance on the implementation of the company disciplinary and grievance handling procedure so as to ensure speedy resolution of employee’s grievances.
• Knowledge and use of human resource management information system for monitoring, tracking and evaluating employee activities including staff training and performance management.
• Business ethics - Custodian and enforcer of compliance on policies specifically, anti-bribery and corruption, gifts, rewards and hospitality, code of business ethics across all functions in the organisation.
• Budgets – Developing HR budgets in line with the business strategy and monitoring the same while ensuring variances are within a margin of control
• Employment Law - Provides , advice, support and training to managers on HR Issues and relevant employment law updates. Updates Employee Handbook as and required.
• Administration of legal matters related to human resources and work injury benefits act.
• Overall review and management of annual leave utilization for all employees
• Maintaining effective record management to ensure confidentiality of official records.
• Administration of awards, staff allowances and benefit programs applicable to all cadre of employees
• Reports - Reviews quality of HR reports and reviews with managers to obtain optimum improvements
Competencies & Experience:
● Minimum degree in Human Resources, Business Management or other relevant field.
● Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management.
● MBA degree will be an added advantage.
● Minimum 5 years in a HR role in a comparable environment, 3 years in a similar role or on a consultative or partnership capacity.
● A current member of Institute of Human Resource Management (IHRM K).
● Experience of using HR management information system
● Demonstrable business acumen and delivery.
● Demonstrates the ability to break down strategy into practical operations plans at all levels.
● In-depth knowledge of HR policies, systems and procedures and ability to articulate these at all staff and management levels
● Sound understanding and interpretation of Kenya’s Labour Regulations and Legislation
● Knowledge and Application of Change Management Principles.
● Ability to implement and manage specific workplace change initiatives.
● Capability for coaching and mentoring.
● International experience in the optical field as a HR is very beneficial for the role.
Other Desired Skills:
• Unquestionable integrity, confidentiality and professional maturity
• Energetic, drive, assertive and ability to take own initiative, possess a “can do” attitude
• Ability to influence, collaborate and build consensus
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Build and sustain effective relationships within the business
• Excellent communication