Duties and Responsibilities
• Strategic human resource planning taking into consideration TechnoServe’s current and expected growth trajectory and aligning these to a clear staffing plan.
Align with key project deliverables for every program in Kenya and Tanzania and identify resources to deliver
• Providing advice on management of staff ensuring clear understanding and implementation of TNS Policies, Procedures and Employment Laws of both countries
• Managing the compliance of the country labour laws and liaise with local legal counsels and East Africa HRBP on all compliance issues affecting both HCNs, expatriates and TCNs.
• Manage and oversee Talent Acquisition including job description development and annual reviews, advertising and leading targeted searches, short listing and interviewing, carrying out reference checks, and preparing offer letters.
Develop and maintain a current database of potential candidates.
• Driving and overseeing all Performance Management that includes Annual Performance Appraisal cycle & ensure that evaluations are completed on time.
Implement staff PIP's & development needs where applicable as per the performance appraisal and ensuring performance review reports are submitted to management with recommendations for further actions
• Developing and implementing a Country Learning and Development programs, these includes new hire orientations and onboarding, compliance trainings and identifying people development needs and clear plans to plug the gaps
• Support the Country Director / Manager in managing compensations and Benefits, participating in annual salary surveys.
Based on the report, conduct annual review and maintain a Kenya and Tanzania Compensation Structures competitive with guidance from TechnoServe global HR and Country Financial Controllers
• Maintain a positive work environment, manage complex employee relations issues, retrenchment procedures if needed, participate in disciplinary investigations and associated hearings, and prepare legal termination letters if required.
• Implementation of Employee Engagement Initiatives to facilitate increased staff morale, productivity and retentions across the countries
• Maintain Human Resource Information System records and compile reports from database. Responsible for ensuring completeness, accuracy and confidential management of employee records.
• In liaison with Country Director / Manager ensure appropriate Safety and Security Guidelines are completed and distributed to all staff and training is conducted for employee safety and security.
• Managing local benefits programs e.g. medical cover, insurance, NSSF, Pension Scheme etc. Act as the liaison between local employees and corporate benefits manager.
• With the support of the HR Officer / Coordinator managing resident / work permits for expatriates or third country nationals and INGO permit renewal across the countries
• With the support of the HR officer managing office administration
• Manager, supervise, and provide capacity building to HR staff across the countries
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the supervisors
III. Required Skills and Experience :
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Social Sciences or related areas, Master’s degree preferred
• At least 10 years’ experience in Human Resources management of which three (3) should be in a senior management role
• A member of Institute of Human Resources Management (IHRM) preferred
• Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex and difficult issues
• Proven ability to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation and governmental laws
• Experience of solving issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in and using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations and governmental laws
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills including influencing and negotiation
• Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet demanding deadlines
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
• The ability and willingness to travel nationally, sometimes to remote locations
• Good communication skills in both Kiswahili and English
• Good computer skills in business software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and HRIS)
IV. Success Factors :
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include :
• Integrity and honesty : Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner;
keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
• Team Work / Relationships : Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and / or leader, to achieve a common goal.
Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
• Learning attitude : Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning;
applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
• Diversity / Inclusiveness : Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts.
Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
• Communication : Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments;
• adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information;
uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
• Decision making / Problem Solving : Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution.
Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
• Results Oriented / High Quality Deliverables : Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals.
• Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small;
showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
• Planning & Time Management : Establishes a course of action for self and / or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities;
identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and / or time) to accomplish goals.
Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
• Business Acumen : The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific / Technical Competencies include :
• Computer Literacy : Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area.
Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
• Innovative Mindset : Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
• Internal Client Focus : Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and / or solutions.
• Compliance & Governance : Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
Financial & Resource Management : The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment.
Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance
Managerial Competencies :
• Emotional Intelligence : The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others.
Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes : self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
• Strategic Thinking : Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, and see consequences and implications.
Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
• Staff Development : managers are required to work with employees to plan on the development of skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job / role responsibilities more effectively.
• Trust to Delegate : managers should have trust and willingness to assign responsibilities to direct reports and give them discretion and authority to carry them out.
• Feedback / Coaching (mentoring) : managers should give instructions, suggestions, explanations, and feedback to subordinates. (SPI+R)
Qualified Candidates are required to send their updated CV