Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will implement entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic.
Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks candidates to assist in implementing in six sub counties (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike) in Migori and Eight Sub- counties (Rangwe, Homa Bay Township, Ndhiwa, Suba North, Rachuonyo North, Rachuonyo East, Rachuonyo South and Suba South) in Homa Bay county Kenya in the following temporary positions:
Job title: IEC Assistant
Supervisor: Social Behavior Change Communications (SBCC) Coordinator
Location: Migori and Homa Bay Counties, Kenya
No. required: 16 (10 in Homa Bay and 6 in Migori)
Overall Purpose: The IEC Assistant will assist in coordination and implementation of project related community Social Behavior communication and mobilization activities in the sub County under the supervision of the SBCC Coordinator. Working closely with the sub county coordinators, sub-county IRS steering committee, site coordinators and site supervisors.
S/He will facilitate and coordinate all PMI VectorLink pre, during and post spraying SBC activities including community mass mobilization activities, branding/marketing and communication activities in the said sub County.
- Ensure strengthened partnerships and collaboration between MOH and other like-minded partners working in the respective sub county.
- Coordinate all mass mobilization activities in the respective sub county by ensuring that the sub location mobilizers coordinate their movement well and are able to visit their assigned community social groups/ institutions.
- Ensure mobilization activities are implemented as per the mobilization calendars and are well coordinated with spray calendars.
- Collect and document success stories weekly from the field and ensuring that all those interviewed for success stories have signed consent forms
- Take action photos daily capturing activities in the field, with special emphasis on spray activities, mobilization activities, mass mobilization, morning mobilization and end of day mobilization.
- Submit weekly progress reports to the SBCC Coordinator capturing progress of mobilization activities, challenges experienced, lessons learned and successes
- Together with the site coordinator and the site supervisors, train and orient both the sub location mobilizers and the team mobilizers on their key roles
- Ensure that the mobilization team is actively involved in ensuring that all community members are aware about mobilization
- Ensure that the sub location mobilizers have materials to carry out their mass mobilization activities. E.g. megaphones, mobilizer hand book, reflector jackets, notebooks and pens
- Ensure that the various operations sites are branded with banners at the entrance and have posted IRS posters on major public areas and IRS SOP vehicles
- Ensure that the relevant data forms from the field are verified
- Ensure that completed mobilizer data forms from the field are filed accordingly in every operations site.
- Ensure that all the forms received in the field are entered in ODK regularly as required
- Conduct quality control and assurance checks to ascertain community mobilization and communication work is done to agreeable standards and correct key messages are being given to the community.
- Provide updates and analysis of key developments in targeted thematic areas.
- Organize and participate in community sensitization activities and ensure that minimal or zero refusals to IRS is experienced.
- Attend stakeholder meetings including chiefs barazas, church meetings, school visits, youth and women group meetings together with the sub location mobilizers on behalf of PMI
- VectorLink at the sub location and ward level and documenting the deliberations in the relevant data tools
- Attend county commissioners’ weekly briefing, document deliberations and submit to the SBCC Coordinator
- Pay special & focused attention to special groups that have been hard to reach e.g. fisher folk, gold miners, traditional wizards & boda riders by meeting their leaders and ensuring that their members are available to have their structures sprayed.
- Attend health talks at the sub county health facilities to talk to pregnant women, new mothers and those attending comprehensive care clinics about IRS and other malaria prevention and treatment measures
- Advocate for the adherence to MOH and VL’s COVID 19 mitigation measures
Required qualifications and experience:
- Vocational training plus one and a half years’ experience in the area of community development, public health, social sciences or other related discipline. Bachelor’s degree is highly preferred.
- Must have had two (2) years supervisory experience in community mobilization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience managing IEC and community outreach /mobilization activities for local health programs is essential, experience with malaria prevention programs preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Conversant and able to communicate in the English, Kiswahili and local language (Dholuo).
- Advocacy related skills would be an added advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure and independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to train on health related issues.
- Strong computer skills required
- Report writing skills desirable
- All positions that involves a worker coming in contact or close contact with wet insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests. Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for other relevant roles they qualify for.
- These positions will be on a short term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. Women are highly encouraged to apply for all roles.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to KenyaJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and ward e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – North Kamagambo’ by COB, October 30th, 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.