Position based in Nairobi, Kenya. Work permit/ permanent residency required. This is a Global Team position, with up to 12 weeks of travel to countries where Medair operates.
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 12 months.
Lead a geographically disbursed team of Information Management (IM) Officers to oversee their contribution to Medair’s Global IM activities. The role will work closely with the IMpact Project Manager to ensure implementation of newly developed tools across all of Medair’s country programs. The IM-SSC Team Leader will actively integrate and collaborate with Medair IM focal points in all Medair Country Programs; managing client relationships, scoping, consulting and IM tool implementation. The job holder will ideally have a strong background managing IT Projects and ideally will also have experience working in the Humanitarian or Development sectors – with all of the understanding of the difficulty of working in conflict and natural disaster situations.
Global ITS provides Medair with centralised governance, strategy, direction, innovation and support in the use of the information technologies that amplify the people to people strategy. Global ITS provides a centralised approach to ensure cost efficiency and integration, including country programs in the strategic design of systems, and delivers services locally where practical to ensure that the day-to-day needs of our GSO and country program colleagues are met.
Team leadership /Line Management
- Remotely line-manage IM Officers in the Shared Service Centre by providing guidance and timely feedback, and lead by example to demonstrate accountability and professionalism.
- Develop training and knowledge transfer plans so that members of the team can continue to grow in their roles and ensure proper coverage in case of staff absence or departure.
- In conjunction with the IT Applications Manager, plan field trips for team members, and coordinate resources for short-term support to country programs where necessary.
Shared Service Centre
- Create a Global IM Community of Practice (CoP) across all country programs, and drive a pipeline of innovative ideas into the IMpact program working group.
- Monitor work queues and allocate technical trouble-shooting resources according to Jira queue.
- Communicate regularly with the country IM focal points to integrate and share innovative IM developments from these countries in the overall IM service plan.
- Work closely with the IMpact Project Manager to ensure new tools are received through the pipeline and plan to implement and maintain these solutions across country programs.
- Provide senior level of IM Support to create assessments and surveys, GIS maps, reports and dashboards for country programs. Design, develop and maintain Qlik, DHIS2, ArcGIS, ODK and other relevant software to provide IM services in the form of electronic data collection forms, databases, and interactive dashboards.
- Provide training and assistance to IM focal points based in country programs in the most recently available technologies available for IM related requirements.
- Build a training program of data protection/data literacy to be rolled out across all Medair country programs.
- Support and repair issues related to assessments, surveys, GIS maps, reports and dashboards.
- Coordinate and ensure an effective IM implementation, including refining standard data collection tools and scripting routine processes; managing effective information sharing and dissemination to all stakeholders.
- Create new IM change proposals and provides specialist advice on information management.
- Create and maintains an inventory of information assets, which are subject to relevant legislation.
- Contribute to the development of policy, standards and procedures for compliance with legislation.
- Set standards for operational, geographical and population data. Maintain and distribute standards to IM colleagues and partner NGOs.
Applications and Information Management Strategy
- Development of a roadmap to upgrade and standardise the applications infrastructure across all country programs, outsourcing activities to focus on activities that are unique and cost-effective for Medair to maintain.
- Communicate to country management and country advisors on the services offered by the Shared Service Centre. Work with country programmes to conceptualise with stakeholders IM tools customized to the priority needs and develop this in an IM improvement project.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in Informatics, Computer Science, Information Systems or related field.
- Knowledge or certifications of Qlik, DHIS2, ArcGIS, ODK is a strong advantage.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French desirable.
- 2 years’ IT Project Management experience is desirable.
- 3 years’ experience in applications development, information management, business intelligence.
- Experience working in Agile teams preferred. Experience building and managing a remote team of people. Knowledge and experience of change management.
- Humanitarian knowledge of best practice in the field is an advantage – Medair experience is preferred.
- Solid understanding and experience with data modelling, data architecture, data protection and retention, and other information management disciplines to support a global organization.
- Strong planning and analytical skills. Experience in database management and mobile technologies.