Department Drawing Office : Design/Production
Reporting Arrangements: The Interior Designer will be responsible to the Directors and Senior Architects.
The Interior Designer will supervise a team of Junior Interior Designers and Technicians.
Main Tasks and Accountabilities
1. Adhere to high level strategic management to ensure that the company meets or exceeds its business plan targets.
2. Assist in financial management of projects including drawing annual project budgets and maintaining information for fee billing purposes.
3. Identification of clients and new work.
4. Inspecting and surveying of buildings and preparation of survey drawings in adequate detail for subsequent detail design input.
5. Based on client’s requirements to be able to prepare a detailed brief adequate for space planning purposes and subsequent scheduling and control documentation.
6. Prepare interior design schedules for projects.
7. To carry out research as necessary for purposes of meeting client objectives.
8. To produce a free hand sketches and prepare mounting boards incorporating collection of suitable images, colours and materials.
9. Liaise with the Project Architect to develop detail designs using Cadd software.
10. To be able to select most appropriate material for the design and budget.
11. To be able to advise the client on progress and provide them with samples of paints and fabrics.
12. To carry out studies to determine the design approach (mounting boards)
13. To prepare outline proposals for discussions initially with the Project Architect and subsequently with the client.
14. To identify and liaise with Suppliers and other projects relevant to the design intent.
15. To develop detailed designs including as necessary furniture/room layouts, sample boards, visuals, photographs or sketches related to furniture and fittings.
16. To coordinate and integrate any designs provided by others including electrical engineer , mechanical engineers, structural engineers, architects and any specialists
17. To assist in the preparation of an approximate estimate of FF&E cost items.
18. To prepare specification/schedule of finishes.
Prepare schedules of FF& E items
19. Process and preparation of tender documents.
20. Visit to site during construction to see that the work is proceeding in accordance with the design intent and quality.
21. After completion to make final inspection of the work and arrange for correction of any defects.
22. Prepare as build drawings of interior fit out projects.
23. Responsible for filing of drawings based on the system set out by the Management
24. To ensure that all drawings that are not currently in use are properly filed.
25. To ensure that the filing in the computers is carried in accordance with the office procedures and standards and to carry out a regular sieving exercise as agreed with the Management.
26. To attend office technical meetings when called upon to do so.
Key Result Areas
1. Must be capable of delivering projects from inception through to practical completion.
2. Competent design skills, technical skills, supervision and programming of jobs.
3. Good working knowledge of contract conditions and administration.
4. Ability to co-ordinate and share consultants information.
5. Office administration responsibilities at the discretion of the Directors.
6. Identification of clients and new work.
7. Development of client brief and client co-ordination and correspondence.
8. To be fully conversant with the building legislation and local authority submission requirements.
9. Fully conversant and apply office procedures including CADD standards.
10. Responsible for coordinating the filing of drawings based on the system set out by the management
11. Adhere to the work programme as outlined by the Directors at the onset of the project and where necessary put in extra time in order to meet the programme.
12. Preparation of project reports.
13. Preparation of consultancy submissions in liaison with the Directors.
14. Involvement in establishing and implementing office procedures.
15. Programming own work and of team to ensure that job deadlines are met.
16. Liaise with suppliers and contractors and assist in expanding the office Data base and consultants list.
17. To ensure that time sheets are completed as per the company regulations.
1. Bachelors Degree in Interior Design/Interior Architecture
2. Minimum of 5 years experience.
1. Holder of a valid driving license
2. Holder of a valid passport
Skills, Knowledge and Aptitudes
1. Demonstrable ability to organize work programmes and allocate work to staff and be capable of co-coordinating and overseeing the work of multi-disciplinary teams.
2. CAD and presentation skills.
3. Excellent communication skills.
4. Demonstrable Leadership and Management qualities.
5. Knowledge of basic financial management is desirable
6. Ability to work without supervision.
As an Interior Designer, you should make yourself aware of the activities of the other offices in the Group. In marketing the practice you should endeavour to look for opportunities that may be beneficial to any of the practices to maximize the group’s networking advantages in Africa and neighbouring countries.
Alternate/Stand in responsibilities
During absence the Interior Designer’s responsibilities will be covered by a person of
similar status. Comprehensive handover notes are to be prepared in advance to allow
Smooth handling of ongoing projects and specific responsibilities.