The purpose of this role is to provide an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve MSK’s operations.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:8 years
Internal Audit Manager
Probation 3 months
Reports to Country Director
No. of Direct Reports 1
Budget Responsibilities (Y/N) Y
Marie Stopes Kenya is an NGO registered in Kenya as a local implementing partner of MSI Reproductive Choices, a UK charity. We deliver quality sexual and reproductive healthcare, family planning and other women’s health services to millions of the world's poorest and most vulnerable women. We want to make sure that women have a choice when it comes to having children and that death by unsafe abortion is reduced.
The purpose of this role is to provide an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve MSK’s operations. It helps MSK accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The key responsibilities of the role are the management of the risk register reporting regularly on mitigation actions taken against agreed indicators; the review of policies and systems required to support the management of risk; the independent investigation of key areas of concern that arise; and review of Board compliance.
It is the responsibility of this role is to further our goal of MAKING CHOICE POSSIBLE for every Kenyan.
The post holder commits to and is held accountable to MSI Reproductive Choices core values:
Mission-driven Client-centered Accountable Courageous Resilient Inclusive
1. Provide leadership in management of the Risk Register
a. Take lead in establishment and review of the MSK Risk Register to be reviewed by DIA and approved by the Board
b. Identification of data and indicators to be monitored by directors monthly and reported to Board quarterly in relation to Finance, Human Resources, Procurement and Logistics, Commercial activities, Clinical Quality, and Programme Operations
c. Take lead in revision of risk assessments and introduction of new ones as need arises
d. Updating and maintaining the risk register
e. Updating and maintaining the fraud and gift register
• Risk Register agreed
• Data sets agreed
• Reports and action plans
2. Review of Policies and Systems
a. Review of all policies and systems and recommendations for amendment
b. Agreement of minimum standards against each policy area
c. Monitoring of review timetable
d. Testing of effectiveness through regular visits and checks
e. Recommendations for amendments arising from review of implementation
f. Follow up reviews for implementation of agreed recommendations
• Roster of all policies, status and revision schedules
• Minimum standards agreed and monitored across all -directorates
• Timetable of visits and reports
• Collation of reports against minimum standards monitoring
3. Independent investigation of key areas of concern that arise.
a. Discreet investigations into issues of concern identified by Management
b. Responses to whistle blowing
c. Prompt reports and recommended actions
• Independent investigation reports
4. Reporting & External audit
a. Timely Quarterly and activity reports and Internal audit findings to DIA & EMT
b. Annual summary IA reports on status of all recommendations
c. Support external MSK audit process
• Quarterly Reports
• Activity report
• Annual reports
5. People and administration
a. Supervise, appraise, coach and manage the MSK Internal Audit assistants
b. Review team’s field expenses and accountabilities
c. Perform other related roles as requested by management
Completion of OGSM
6. General IA audit work
a. Develop team audit plans and present them to DIA for review
b. Develop audit and maintain programmes for different processes and controls
c. Support management in making value for money audits
d. Develop and maintain work papers
e. Review Audit assistant’s work papers and field reports
• Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Finance, or any other relevant discipline
• Hold a recognised professional accounting qualification (e.g. ACMA, CGMA, ACA, ACCA, CIPFA, CIA) (Desirable)
• Registered with a professional body.
• 8 years’ experience of using and implementing audit procedures, including planning, techniques, test and sampling methods.
• Experience of using computerised accounting and auditing record keeping systems.
• Experience of establishing and retaining effective working relationships with staff and ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to gather, analyse and evaluate facts and to prepare and present high quality, high value added concise oral and written reports in English.
• Ability to maintain current knowledge of developments related to business matters of interest to internal audit, particularly legislation changes and developments as they affect charities, and new auditing techniques and practises.
• Experience of utilizing computer aided audit techniques
• Experience of auditing compliance with complex & high impact donor Agreements
• Experience of influencing colleagues at all levels of a major international organisation
• A skilled negotiator
• A clear attention to detail
• Self-sufficient and able to set and meet own work plan timetables
Behaviours and Values:
Successful performance at MSK is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others.
Work as One MSI
You contribute, use, and share accurate data and evidence to improve understanding, insight and decision-making across MSI, enabling us to maximize our ability to influence others.
You share relevant knowledge, expertise and resources to strengthen teamwork and prevent duplication of effort.
You actively work as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures.
Show courage, authenticity and integrity
You hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make and the behavior you demonstrate.
You are courageous in challenging others and taking appropriate managed risks.
Develop and grow
You seek feedback to enable greater self-awareness and provide the same to others in a way which inspires them to be even more effective.
You manage your career development including keeping your knowledge and skills up to date.
Deliver excellence, always
You strive to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting clients at the centre of everything, and implement smarter, more efficient ways of performing your role.
You build and maintain effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders, and are a true MSI ambassador.
You inspire individuals and teams, through situational leadership, providing clear direction.
You seek and provide opportunities which motivate team members, helping to develop skills and potential whilst strengthening our talent and succession pipeline.
You are aware of emerging developments in our sector, demonstrating strategic insight about our clients and business and encourage this in your team.
You articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others.
How to apply:
Suitable and qualified candidates should email one document combining an application letter and CV to email@example.com on or before 27th January 2023. The subject of the email should read Internal Audit Manager. Do not attach certificates and testimonials. Marie Stopes Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and does not ask for fees at any stage of the recruitment process. Successful candidates must abide by MSI’s Antifraud & Bribery Policy and Safeguarding Policy, including protection of children and vulnerable adults. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured