Title: International Finance Officer (IFO)
Location: Any MSF Office
Contract: Long Term Contract, 80%-100%
Reporting to: Senior International Finance Officer
Starting date: 1st of January 2022
Deadline to apply: 07.11.2021
* By default, the successful candidate will be offered a contract in the MSF office of their country of residence at the time of application
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the associative legal entity that binds MSF’s 25 institutional members, branch offices and other satellite organizations. Registered in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
Within MSF International, the international finance team consists of: the International Finance Coordinator (IFC), the Senior International Finance Officer (SIFO), the International Financial Officer (IFO), the International Finance Senior Analyst (IFSA), the volunteering treasury advisor and the project manager for the implementation of a treasury centre pilot. The international finance team works under the stewardship of the FinDir platform, the executive body of MSF governance for financial matters.
II. GENERAL OBJECTIVE
The IFO will work under the supervision and the coordination of the SIFO.
The IFO position seeks to improve and develop the financial and technical aspects related to the preparation of the International Financial Report and the production of other international combined financials.
III. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
The IFO responsibility and activities include:
1. International Combined Accounts
The IFO will assist for the planning, production and audit of the annual international combined accounts for the MSF movement in its different key phases.
- Participate to the design of the timeline for the combination process.
- Communicate the timeline on combination process through various and appropriate channels.
- Inform and train financial staff from reporting entities on procedures, policies and tools (SAP/FC) needed for the financial reporting.
- Support and guide the entities (currently 23 sections, 9 branch offices, MSF International and 9 satellites) in their financial reporting (combination in Swiss GAAP/RPC), specifically:
- Reporting and reconciliation of inter-company transactions
- Reporting their statutory accounts and adjustments into Swiss GAAP/RPC
- Contribute to follow-up Swiss GAAP/RPC development, as well as best practices in terms of external financial report, to suggest improvements in the International Financial Report.
Production of the International Financial Report
- Give direct support to the reporting entities.
- Set-up the right level of documentation on the combination process.
- Participate to the preparation of the International Financial Report.
- Support the international audit, including the documentation and analysis as requested by the international auditors.
- Contribute to the International Financial Report, in collaboration with the International Editor and other key stakeholders.
The IFO will also where required, escalate to the SIFO, issues concerning any lack of compliance, weaknesses or problems concerning accounting, audit or any matter of concern that needs to be addressed by the International Finance Coordinator, Financial Directors of reporting entities and/or the International Treasurer.
- Propose and implement improvements that will create further efficiencies or reinforce the internal controls within the combination process.
- Summarize feedbacks to reporting entities and lessons learnt into a summary report.
- Follow-up on recommendations with reporting entities.
2. International Finance Reporting and Tool Management
- The IFO will proactively report to the SIFO any improvement and maintenance needed of the current systems (SAP/FC) and processes to improve the International Reporting and create efficiencies.
- The IFO will also train the financial staff of the reporting entities on the tools.
3. Additional responsibilities and activities
The IFO will:
- Participate to the working group meetings about the financial reporting standards (expense allocation committee, field chart of account committee…) and assist the SIFO in taking minutes, following-up and communicating the outcomes.
- Be invited to participate actively in the IO and MSF topical debates by attending information meetings and discussions.
- Provide other support to the International Finance Team as required.
- Commitment to the Charter of Médecins Sans Frontières.
- Capacity to work autonomously.
- At least four years relevant finance experience, with exposure to accounting consolidation.
- Professional accounting qualification e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CMA, or equivalent.
- Excellent written and spoken English, Spanish and/or French an asset.
- A great liking of IT tools and highly computer literate.
- Excellent command of Excel.
- Ability to learn & master quickly new tools (including SAP BOFC).
- Excellent written and communication skills and ability to work within a team.
- Ability to work within deadlines.
- Flexible and solutions orientated.
- MSF experience a plus.
- Travels may be required.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.