Department: I.T Systems and Innovations
Reports to: Head of I.T Systems and Innovations
Job location: Kisumu Tugende Office
Job Opening : 8th December 2020
Application Deadline : Open
Tugende seeks to create opportunity through ownership by kickstarting the journey to financial independence for SMEs. We provide an affordable path to ownership of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs. Our mission is to provide financing and support to help self-employed entrepreneurs own income-generating assets. We currently have physical presence in 17 locations in Uganda and 1 location in Kenya.
Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit, and has financed over 30,000 customers.
About this Role:
In this position, Tugende is searching for a knowledgeable I.T Support Manager, with experience working in fast paced environments, to serve the needs of a fast growing company. Tugende is rapidly expanding its reach both geographically and also in terms of products and services to more customer segments. This implies reliance on data to make decisions on a day to day basis hence the need for technology and I.T support.
The I.T Support Manager will be responsible for supporting users under his / her jurisdiction, understanding the business environment and proposing technology solutions to the Head of I.T Systems and Innovations that can improve efficiency in their area of operation, coordinating I.T projects on the ground through user trainings, user support. They will be responsible for ensuring that all user issues are addressed or escalated in a timely manner
Key duties to be performed:
The job holder will perform the following duties:
SYSTEM SUPPORT & MAINTENANCE
● Ensure optimal issue resolution process for the Tickets that are reported from users in ALL Tugende systems.
● Escalate issues in a timely manner that require more resources and attention.
● Coordinate with all stakeholders involved in a specific system issue to ensure they are aligned until the issue is concluded.
● Ensure the printers, laptops, mice, scanners and any other computer hardware is regularly checked and serviced
● Solve hardware related issues that are manageable.
● Oversight of internet infrastructure and connectivity in all locations under jurisdiction to ensure round the clock operation
● Propose data security and any other strategies to the Head of I.T to avert any risk of corruption or loss of the company’s data.
● Controlling and monitoring user access to the Tugende’s systems.
● Identify potential data security and protection risks and make them known to Head of I.T for action to be taken.
● Setup proven mechanisms to detect fraud / corruption of data through hacks, suspicious user activity, unauthorized access, power failure etc
● Full engagement in disaster recovery planning and execution
● Coordinating disaster recovery tasks when need arises
● Identifying and suggesting various opportunities to improve the company’s infrastructure and data management.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Prefered skills, knowledge & abilities
● Understanding of Systems Administration, Networks and Database Administration
● Implementation skills for data protection mechanisms for Tugende’s data.
(Prevention of misuse, detection of breach of protocols and disaster recovery)
● Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and best practices
● Documentation skills for Training Manuals, Policy Guidelines, User manuals among other documents.
● Computer maintenance and restoration
● Timely Delivery of tasks
● Good communication skills
● High level of professionalism and integrity, with good moral character
● Ability to work under minimum supervision with resilience and a ‘can do’ attitude
● Comfort with server operating systems like Linux, Windows Server
● Excellent time management and multitasking skills.
● Fluent in English, Kiswahili and atleast 1 key local languages of Kenya
● At least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering or relevant fields.
● A Certification in ITIL or related fields is an added advantage.
● At least 3 years’ experience in Systems Administration and User Support
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant potential to grow as the company and Operations function grow in Kenya. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; In country Business Support Manager, or Head of I.T Systems and Innovations.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join us!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~450 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as events for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow , 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow , 2016 GSBI Fellow , a nd received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion startups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian , BBC , Economist . Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende reach millions of clients without losing high touch personal support As part of our regional expansion in East African, Kenya is now launched!