RefuSHE is the only organization in Kenya exclusively designed and dedicated to serve the needs of vulnerable refugee girls, serving both their immediate requirements for safety and security and their longer-term needs of healthcare, education, empowerment, and income generation. Founded in 2008, RefuSHE Inc is a U.S. nonprofit, headquartered in the U.S. and operating in Nairobi, Kenya.
Our mission is to protect, educate, and empower orphaned, unaccompanied, or separated refugee girls and young women and to help them build healthier and more resilient futures for themselves and their children. **
Position Title: IT Trainer (This is a national position)
Supervisor: Computer Science Teacher & Digital Learning Specialist
Specializations: Computer Science, IT, STEM, digital literacy, teaching, youth
Anticipated Start Date: March 2022
RefuSHE is recruiting an IT Trainer to join its education team in Nairobi, Kenya for a digitial inclusion and upskilling program that will train refugee young women to access freelance employment opportunities online. RefuSHE seeks a skilled IT Teacher with experience training adolescents with an ideal background of trauma-informed teaching or working with refugees.
The IT Trainer will play a key role in a new program being launched by RefuSHE in partnership with Konexio and supported by a multinational technology company. This program aims to provide digital skills training to refugee young women and connect them to the growing online freelance economy. As part of this program, RefuSHE will also provide wrap-around services – including counseling, day care, and a laptop buy-back program – to help refugee women launch their careers and thrive after graduation. As a result of the program, RefuSHE aims to enhance participating refugee young women’s resiliency and economic independence, and thereby increase their economic inclusion in Kenya.
The candidate will serve as one of RefuSHE’s IT Trainers for the program and be responsible for leading cohorts of students through Konexio’s 6-month digital upskilling training curriculum. The 6-month curriculum consists of: a 3-month instructional module in digital skills and soft skills; and a 3-month practical module where students apply their skills in preparation for entry into the online job market. They will be responsible for teaching the training curriculum to ensure students develop both digital and soft skills and are prepared to succeed in online freelance work. The IT Trainer will also be responsible for RefuSHE’s IT Lab, network infrastructure and computer equipment during student trainings. The IT Trainer will be responsible for working with Konexio's lead trainer throughout the program, including teaching and managing students in the classroom, from training to monitoring and evaluating student progress.The candidate should have experience in hands-on classroom instruction, technology integration, and collecting data for impact evaluation.
The candidate will report to RefuSHE’s Computer Science Teacher & Digital Learning Specialist, who will oversee management of the program. The candidate will play a key role supporting the Computer Science Teacher & Digital Learning Specialist with management of the grant, including but not limited to reporting on the program and data collection for monitoring and evaluation (M&E). The ideal candidate has a strong educational background, demonstrated technical acumen, advanced teaching skills, and a passion for working with young people. They should be proactive and self-motivated to advance the use of technology for education.
Digital Skills Training Program
• Participate in an 8-week Training of Trainers on Konexio’s curriculum and training materials.
• Through employer-provided training, attain a skill level appropriate for instruction, on all topics related to the course, including digital skills, online freelance skills, soft skills, training methodology, and demonstrates ability to instruct others in the training materials.
• Train cohorts of RefuSHE students in a 6-month digital skills trainings session consisting of a 3-month instructional module and a 3-month practical module.
• Lead effective trainings in RefuSHE’s IT Lab using Konexio’s curriculum and support students in the completion of classroom exercises and with technical issues.
• Evaluate, monitor and follow-up on student progress.
• Be available to answer technical questions from students and teams and questions on class exercises and curriculum content.
• Ensure good communication between the instructor and the students (reporting information, difficulties, follow-up, etc.)
• Explain abstract concepts to students who are new to these concepts.
• Maintain equipment and software in working order by ensuring that software is working properly, the rooms are secure, and that equipment is used appropriately during trainings.
• Perform routine maintenance and IT equipment cleaning and manage the installation of equipment in the morning and its shutdown in the evening.
• Be present at the IT Lab Monday through Friday, and for occasional essential activities that may take place on weekends, such as graduation ceremonies.
• Contribute to the design of exercises.
• Work directly with both the RefuSHE and Konexio teams in terms of coordination and communication to successfully deliver the program and to overcome challenges that emerge during the training.
• Ensure that all programs are developed and implemented with a trauma-informed lens.
Support for Grant Management
• Deliver strong implementation of program activities to elevate RefuSHE as a competent and reliable grantee with excellent service and outcomes.
• Support the Computer Science Teacher & Digital Learning Specialist in grant management requirements (data collection, reporting) and adhere to RefuSHE’s commitment to the multinational technology company funding this project.
• Ensure high program quality through rigorous assessment, design, development, and comprehensive data collection and tracking.
• Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with international, federal, state, and local regulations.
• Work with the Computer Science Teacher & Digital Learning Specialist to strengthen and build RefuSHE’s IT and digital skills offerings.
• Assist with other program management tasks, as needed.
This position is responsible for leading vocational trainings in IT and digital skills to youth as well as soft skills needed to access employment in online freelance work. They must have strong interpersonal skills and technical knowledge as well as experience providing instruction in digital and IT learning. They must also demonstrate a keen ability to participate in Konexio’s training of trainers, digest the curriculum, and integrate new information to conduct 6-month trainings cycles with refugee young women in the program. The ideal candidate should be a highly effective, organized, trustworthy, and flexible leader and teacher. S/he will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills and characteristics:
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as education, education technology, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field of study is required.
• At least four years of IT teaching and training experience, strong preference for training disadvantaged and vulnerable youth.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Windows OS, Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016, Windows Multipoint Server 2011/2012, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
• Basic knowledge of network components (firewalls, routers, switches and LAN, WAN, WLAN infrastructures).
• Basic skills in SQL servers, hardware, printers and computers and in TCP/IP, DNS, and HTTP protocols preferred.
• Experience in programming, installation, configuration and maintenance of computer networks.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and rigorous commitment to serving students.
• Demonstrated experience in computer science and digital media instruction and training
• Experience teaching adolescent girls and young women with high vulnerabilities preferred
• Experience with areas of program management such as data collection, impact evaluation, and reporting a plus.
• The ability to work and live in Kenya; fluency in English and Kiswahili.
• Language skills in French or local dialects spoken in Somalia, Congo, and South Sudan a plus.
How to apply
Your application should be sent to email@example.com indicating the position title as "Application for IT Trainer" in the email subject by close of business 10th December 2021. It should include a cover letter, detailed CV, relevant credentials along with proof of past work experience.
HR & Administration Manager
P.O. Box 63192-00619, Nairobi
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.