Our client, an International company being part of a Renewable Energy project, is looking for a Junior Control Room Operator for their project in Kajiado. The Control Room Operator is responsible for the operational aspects of the power plant during his shift, including personnel and equipment safety. He/she will ensure safe and efficient start-up, operation and shutdown of the wind turbines and balance of plant equipment from inside the control room. He/she also performs any other tasks or assignments delegated by the Plant Manager or as determined by the needs of the company.
• Perform safe and efficient operation of the turbines and balance of plant equipment from the control room using the plant’s SCADA.
• Coordinate the hourly distribution of generation forecasts with the KPLC National Control Center.
• Coordinate with the Load Dispatcher to maintain and optimize plant MW output as directed and in accordance with the Power Purchase Agreement and the hourly wind forecasts.
• Monitor and record plant operating parameters inside the control room; make adjustments as required to maintain safe and efficient operation of the plant.
• Upon detecting faulty equipment operation, diagnose the cause then take proper action to restore the equipment and plant to a safe condition.
• Provide periodic reports to the Shift Supervisor regarding plant status.
• Interpret electrical, process flow charts, hydraulic systems, pneumatics, schematics and troubleshoot Faults.
• Monitor and operate equipment circuit breakers and switches as required for the safe and efficient operation of the plant.
• Review operating logs and inspect plant controls and indications.
• Give thorough turnover to the relieving Control Room Operator for special orders and unusual operating conditions.
• Perform tests on critical systems as necessary to ensure availability.
• Test and operate plant fire and chemical safety equipment as directed.
• Perform and direct equipment isolation in accordance with plant lockout/tagout procedures.
• Assist in training of subordinate personnel.
• B.Sc. or B.Eng. degree in an Electro-Mechanical, Electrical or Electronic engineering.
• From 1 to 5 years of plant-based experience.
• Experience in plant/system start-up, operation, and shutdown from inside and outside a control room, using local controls and a Distributive Control System (DCS).
• Experience aligning, switching, isolating, and paralleling electrical equipment and systems.
• Experience performing basic plant maintenance and using basic hand tools.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• Very good Analytical skills to evaluate and interpret complex data with an eye for detail.
• Ability to understand complex contractual issues as they relate to plant operations and maintenance.
• Ability to handle quickly changing situations under stress and to work extended hours on short notice.
• Ability to productively work independently and as an overall integral team member.
• Strong communication skills (writing and speaking) and the ability to effectively organize and facilitate teamwork.
• Hands-on proactive problem solving.
• Availability to work rotating shift work, 365 days a year, including weekends and holidays.
Monthly gross salary: Negotiable depending on skills and experience.
Position Level: Lower Mid-Level.
Location: Kajiado, Kenya.
Deadline: 7th November 2020.
We endeavour to make contact with all of our applicants, but unfortunately high volumes of applications make this unrealistic. If you do not hear from us within two weeks your application has not been successful on this occasion. This does not mean you will not be considered for future roles so please keep an eye on our job board and apply for positions that match your skills and experience.
*** Summit Recruitment & Search, as a policy, does not charge any fee as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement***