The Extension and Aggregation Officer's role is the connecting link between farmers and One Acre Fund, and on daily basis they ensure that the farmers are trained, comply, and coordinate harvesting according to QMS rules.
- Minimum Qualification:Diploma
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:1 year
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 per cent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
One Acre Fund Kenya is transitioning from a startup to a mature operation – and we need staff members to continue our growth trajectory.
The mandate of the Market Access team is to start up agribusinesses that work for smallholder farmers, focusing on high-value crops such as macadamia and avocados. As an Extension and Aggregation officer, you will work with Farmers and also a team of support workers. You will be reporting to the E & A coordinator in the Market Access team. The Extension and Aggregation Officer role is also an important role, as they are the connecting link between farmers and One Acre Fund, and on daily basis, they ensure that the farmers are trained, comply, and coordinate harvesting according to QMS rules.
- Develop knowledge of the standard market requirements
- Farmer training- Advising farmers on intervention methods to use on pests and diseases.
- Train Farmer groups in food safety and hygiene methods.
- Train Farmer groups in health safety methods.
- Record and maintain records of production as required by the Macadamia buying centre or Avocado QMS on behalf of the farmer groups.
- Carry out a time-to-time farm risk assessment and crop scouting.
- Prepare/Register farmers for the GGAP certification process.
- Conduct and ensure the smooth GGAP certification training, inspection and audit of all registered farmers.
- Create the reports to share with his/her supervisors to update operational movements.
- Develop his/her farmer base based on the given target for the given season.
- Work and improve the macadamia buying process in the assigned buying centres.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 1+ years of work experience in an agricultural-related field.
- Knowledge of the avocado/ Macadamia value chain (e.g. fruit varieties, quality, seasonality) is appreciated
- A track record in planning field activities and troubleshooting issues
- Able to coordinate teams for harvesting and sourcing from smallholders
- Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
- Coaching skills to develop junior team members
- National ID Card
- Minimum Education; high school certificate, certificate and diploma in agriculture, agricultural-related field
- Language: English, Kiswahili required
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Murang,a, Nyeri, Meru, Kirinyaga and Embu
Health insurance paid time off
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Kenya
25 February 2023
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured