Reports to: Head of Clinical Services
Key Result Areas:
1. Organize and manage the workflow in the laboratory by overseeing the workflow and production to ensure timelines for reporting results to clients are met.
2. Delegate work amongst the various technicians by overseeing of staff and activities of the lab, distributes/assigns work; determines priorities; schedules non-routine procedures; performs personnel related functions.
3. Monitor outputs and keep records of workflow and usage of supplies within the laboratory
4. Supervise the ordering and delivery new supplies
5. Test and calibrate equipment to ensure optimum results, monitor chemistry in equipment and evaluate and assess new equipment.
6. Perform quality tests and ensure the company meets it quality assurance standards
7. Make risk assessments for the laboratory and ensure that the company's Health & Safety policy is observed
8. Offer cover for laboratory staff when required
9. Ensure the physical and environmental conditions of the laboratory are adequate and appropriate for the various tests to be performed.
10. Maintain the overall performance of the lab including quality of results, timeliness of results, specimen integrity, and the prompt resolution to missing and problem specimens.
11. Ensure preventative maintenance is performed on instruments. Assist with the managing of labor costs.
12. Assist with establishing and maintaining production standards and laboratory goals.
13. Responsible for ensuring that the quality of testing under the guidelines of Quality Control and adherence to the Standards Operating Procedures are followed.
14. In addition, ensure that the laboratory passes Quality Assurance inspections by monitoring all Quality Assurance records and procedures.
15. Perform any other duties as may be deemed by the supervisor.
• Ability to multi-task and deal with diverse responsibilities.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Analytical ,communication and writing skills
• Problem-solving and creative work approach
• Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate others.
• Excellent management skills
Knowledge/Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelors of Science in Biology or Medical Technology preferred.
• Generalist laboratory background with minimum 10 years experience preferred.
• Good technical knowledge in relevant laboratory areas including hematology, chemistry, coagulation, and urinalysis.
• Candidate must be self-motivated, energetic, able to solve problems and work in a diverse laboratory environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with clients.
• Demonstrated leadership and a history of excellent attendance with the ability to work independently.
• Excellent organizational, computer and record-keeping skills
• Experience in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Mouse Genetics
• Must be fully registered Allied Health Professionals Council