Title: Laboratory Technologist
Reports to: Clinical Lead
Purpose: The Medical Laboratory technologist will perform a variety of laboratory tests and procedures to assist the Doctors in diagnosing, monitoring, treating and preventing disease. He tests will involve but not limited t the following areas: Biochemistry, Special Chemistry, hematology, immunology and microbiology/parasitology, plus any other specialized test as and when required.
Duties and Responsibilities
The medical laboratory technologist will perform the following duties:
• Collect appropriate and adequate samples of specimen and carry out respective investigations as requested by the clinicians.
• Conduct medical research and analyses.
• Operate and maintain sophisticated instruments and equipment used in the division, he/she must be able to properly set up, calibrate, maintain, operate and shut down such instruments.
• Maintain competence in Laboratory Information System that is crucial to the quality operations of the laboratory and patient care.
• Actively participate in Quality Improvement Programs essential to ensure that laboratory testing is accurate, timely and meets customer needs.
• Train and orientate new Medical laboratory Technologist in the performance and interpretation of tests.
• Write and present periodic reports as required by the supervisor.
• Participate in Health Promotion and Prevention and team building activities as organized by the company.
• Maintain a good working relationship with our Partners and Suppliers.
• Work with the Procurement Officer to ensure that the laboratory has enough reagents, and materials required for the smooth running of the laboratory
• Attend Periodic clinical and Departmental meetings to ensure proper running of the organization as a whole.
• Perform any other legal duties as instructed by the line manager.
Personal Characteristics and qualifications
• Integrity and a professional outlook
• Ability to do detailed work and maintain a high level of accuracy.
• Good color and form perception (to study blood cells, etc.).
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to adjust easily and quickly to change
• Enjoy taking a methodical approach to their work, analyzing results, establishing procedures and using computers and specialized instruments for accurate and precise testing.
• Good Customer service and marketing skills.
• Excellent computer skills and an understanding of health Management Information systems (HMIS)
• Must be skilled in phlebotomy, particularly involving Pediatric patients.
• A Diploma in Medical Laboratory technology from a recognized institution, a degree of BSc in Medical Laboratory Technology is an added advantage.