The commercial aquaculture industry in East Africa is growing rapidly, based on strong demand and excellent natural resources. Population growth, urbanization, and income growth are all rapidly fueling consumers’ ability and desire to buy fresh fish; however, access to fresh fish has declined driven by dwindling wild-catch stocks (e.g., tilapia population has dropped 90% over the last 30 years and continues to decline).
Victory Farms Kenya:
Victory Farms is a fully vertically integrated aquaculture company, with farm operations in the Lake Victoria region. Its founders are committed to building a global 'best-in-class' company, which means placing sustainability at the core of operations. The company was established in 2015 and is now the fastest growing fish farm in the region, accounting for roughly 50% of local fish production and 75% of the industry’s annual growth, and is uniquely positioned to continue to scale by employing best-in-class technologies, people and processes to build the leading global tilapia farm.
OPEN POSITION: Lake Operations Supervisor
Reporting directly to the Lake Operations Manager we are looking for a candidate who can add immediate value to the organization. The ideal candidate will be able to build upon existing structures, refining where necessary, to drive improvements in operational excellence and efficiency.
A successful candidate:
• Minimum 5 years related experience from similar positions
• Aquaculture or agricultural experience a plus, but not mandatory
• Have completed higher education (extended work experience can compensate for this)
• Solutions focused, taking responsibility by leading others from the front
• Enjoy hands on work and have a willingness to solve problems collaboratively
• Be confident and self-assured even in unfamiliar situations
• Ability to multi-task and run large number of operations in parallel
• Comfortable with modern web apps, can quickly learn and use them to his/her strength
• Desire to learn and progress within the organization
• Incredibly diligent and able to follow projects through to completion
• Dedicated to excellence and detail-oriented execution,
• Prioritize tasks and keep the team focused on what matters most
• Rapidly structure and systematically solve complex challenges with pragmatic solution
• Ability to swim is an advantage and expectation that the job requires considerable amount time to spent in the field and on the lake.
• Must be willing to relocate to Sindo, in Homa Bay County
Main areas of responsibility:
• Oversee various of the lake-based aquaculture activities
• Create balanced work schedules in line with company production targets.
• Develop and implement and refine SOPs in conjunction with the senior Aquaculture Management Team
• Demonstrate the ability to think critically and problem solve while working under high pressure.
• Schedule regular maintenance and report on all mechanical problems associated with lake-based equipment.
• Create and implement efficient asset management systems to ensure departmental and sub-departmental requirements met.
• Compile and analyse data and produce reports in a timely manner.
• Ensure proactive reporting on any challenges and issues experienced
• Promote cooperation between land and lake operations teams
• Leading training and staff development.
• Managing projects as assigned and organizing teams to assist in these efforts
Job Title: Lake Operations Supervisor
Location: Homa Bay
Compensation: Competitive (Base plus annual bonus)
Start date: Immediate
Application Deadline: 15th December, 2021
Please send a CV and cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications.