The Regional Centre on Small Arms (RECSA) is an Intergovernmental organization established in the year 2005 to implement the Nairobi protocol for the prevention, Control and Reduction of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) in the Great Lakes Region, the Horn of Africa and Bordering State with Kenya as the Host Country.
RECSA is seeking to fill the following positions to be based at its Secretariat offices in Nairobi. The appointments are on a One (1) year contract renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. Remuneration terms and conditions of work for all the positions are negotiable.
The Legal Assistant shall provide legal advisory services to the Secretariat, ensuring effective management of legal, contractual risks and harmonization of legislation on SALW instruments.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Prepare/review legal documents and working agreements between RECSA, corresponding partners, Organizations and donors.
2. Support in offering technical advice to the Secretariat and Member states in the harmonization of legislation.
3. Preparation of Legal Documents and working Agreements on a need basis.
4. Develop and review MOU’s between RECSA and Partners and follow up on their implementation.
5. Support in the Review and provide legal advice on the implementation of the Nairobi and other international instruments on SALW.
6. Support in developing country specific plans of actions for the implementation of legal aspects of the Best Practice Guidelines for the Implementation of the Nairobi Protocol.
7. Collect, examine, and organize evidence and other legal documents relating to any case where RECSA is a party.
8. Research on regulations, laws, and legal articles to assist with the preparation of reports, case files, and legal advice to RECSA.
9. In consultation with RECSA management and any legal Counsel appointed to represent RECSA in all cases filed in a court of Law.
10. Manage, organize and maintain legal documents for the organization in both hard and electronic filing systems.
11. Participate in project proposal development in thematic areas, relevant to your area of specialization regarding Small Arms intervention in general.
12. Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the supervisor and/or the management of RECSA Secretariat
Qualification and Experience
a. A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Law and Postgraduate Diploma in Law or an Advocate of High Court.
b. At least 5 years’ work experience in legal related field.
c. An understanding of the sources and dynamics of conflicts, peace and security in Africa in general and Great Lakes Region and Horn of Africa in particular would be an added advantage.
d. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Only candidates from RECSA Member States who meet the qualifications should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees and their contact details (e-mail, telephone numbers) to email@example.com or by courier services addressed to the following address on or before 27th October 2021.
Director of Administration and Finance
Regional Centre on Small Arms (RECSA)
Timau Plaza 7th Floor, Argwings Kodhek Road
P.O.BOX 7039-00200, Nairobi Kenya
Tel. +2549(020) 3877456/3876203/3876023
RECSA is an equal opportunity employer. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. More details can be found on RECSA website: www.recsasec.org.