OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN A WINNING TEAM
Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company Limited is mandated to provide Water and Sanitation Services within the County of Nairobi. As part of our continued growth and team strengthening, we are looking for self-motivated, qualified, competent, seasoned and talented professionals capable of operating in a fast paced and demanding environment in the following positions.
This is an excellent opportunity for career progression.
JOB TITLE: LEGAL OFFICER (DISPUTE RESOLUTION)
DIRECTORATE: Company Secretary
REPORTING TO: Legal Coordinator (Dispute Resolution)
VACANT POSITIONS: 3 No
Main External Contacts: Legal Fraternity (courts, law firms, registries, etc.)Nairobi City County Regulatory/oversight and professional bodies
Main Internal Contacts: All Departments
To provide legal services in an efficient and effective timely manner that enhances compliance with legal and statutory requirements.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
• In consultation with all affected parties, proactively resolving disputes (including employing Alternative Dispute Resolution procedures) to ensure that they do not lead to litigation.
• Regularly reviewing and monitoring court matters with a view to concluding matters in a timely and cost effective manner.
• Formulating and implementing strategies to ensure recovery of the debt including negotiation, out-of-court processes, litigation etc. in liaison with the affected departments/stations.
• Responding to demand letters issued by customers and external parties;
• Monitoring accrued liabilities e.g. decretal amounts, court fees and advocates’ fee notes to ensure that they are paid as and when they fall due;
• Ensuring compliance with court orders and decrees to avoid having officers of the company cited for contempt;
• Maintaining a comprehensive database of all legal matters with up to date progress.
• Ensuring quarterly data/trend analysis of matters affecting the section to assist the Company in decision making.
• Liaising with other departments in managing legal cases.
• Liaising with regulatory and oversight organs and ensuring feedback is given within the statutory/stipulated timelines.
• Sensitize the regions and other functions.
• Monitoring legal fees to ensure they are charged in accordance with the relevant legislative enactments and that it is within budget.
• Attending court and relevant registries as and when required to.
• Attending meetings within and outside the company premises on behalf of the company.
EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from a recognized university;
• An advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current Practicing Certificate;
• A registered member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing;
• Have a minimum of 3 years’ post-admission experience in a busy legal department/environment/court litigation.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Strong management, negotiation and report writing skills;
• Computer literacy and familiarity with standard office computer applications;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
The application should also be attached with a detailed CV with three referees’ and their day time contacts, testimonials and copies of academic and professional qualifications, email address and quote the reference number of the position applied.
The envelope should be sealed and properly labeled on top with the job ref of the position for which you are applying. The applications are to be sent or delivered to the address indicated below:-
Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company Ltd,
Kampala Road, Off Enterprise Road, Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 30656 - 00100
NAIROBI - KENYA
The deadline for submission of applications is 4 p.m. Friday 10th December, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification
NAIROBI CITY WATER AND SEWERAGE COMPANY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER