OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN A WINNING TEAM
Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company Limited is mandated to provide Water and Sanitation Services within the County of Nairobi. As part of our continued growth and team strengthening, we are looking for self-motivated, qualified, competent, seasoned and talented professionals capable of operating in a fast paced and demanding environment in the following positions.
This is an excellent opportunity for career progression.
JOB TITLE: LEGAL OFFICER (CORPORATE SERVICES)
DIRECTORATE: Company Secretary
REPORTING TO: Legal Coordinator (Corporate Services)
VACANT POSITION: 1 No
Main External Contacts: Regulatory/oversight and professional bodies Legal Fraternity (law firms, registries, etc.) Shareholder (Nairobi City County)
Main Internal Contacts: Board members
To provide legal services in an efficient and effective timely manner that enhances compliance with legal and statutory requirements.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
• Preparing and reviewing legal contracts, memoranda of understanding, deeds, leases, and other legal papers of a routine nature.
• Researching on relevant statutes, rulings and precedents to be used as a basis for answering requests for legal opinions.
• Providing legal advice with a view to ensuring compliance with legal and statutory requirements.
• Maintaining a comprehensive database of legal matters with up to date progress.
• Reviewing and formulating legal policies, procedures and regulations.
• Reviewing recent legislation, court cases, correspondence and publications pointing out matters of note or which necessitate management action.
• Liaising with other departments in managing legal matters.
• Assisting in the provision of efficient, professional and informed Board Secretariat services and corporate governance support to the Board. This role involves implementing the Company’s continuing obligations in line with constitutive documents, applicable codes of Corporate Governance, the Companies Act and best practice and includes activities such as drafting notices of meetings; preparation of board files; coordination of board evaluation; preparing advisories for the board/management on matters of corporate governance and compliance; communicating board decisions to management; maintaining a data base of all board decisions; preparing a summary of the implementation status of board resolutions; and preparing returns for filing.
• Attending relevant registries as and when required to.
• Attending meetings within and outside the company premises on behalf of the Company.
EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from a recognized university;
• An advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current Practicing Certificate;
• A registered member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing;
• Have a minimum of 3 years’ post-admission experience in a busy legal department/environment.
• Being a registered member of the Institute of Certified Secretaries (Kenya) will be an added advantage.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Strong management, negotiation and report writing skills;
• Computer literacy and familiarity with standard office computer applications;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
The application should also be attached with a detailed CV with three referees’ and their day time contacts, testimonials and copies of academic and professional qualifications, email address and quote the reference number of the position applied.
The envelope should be sealed and properly labeled on top with the job ref of the position for which you are applying. The applications are to be sent or delivered to the address indicated below:-
Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company Ltd,
Kampala Road, Off Enterprise Road, Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 30656 - 00100
NAIROBI - KENYA
The deadline for submission of applications is 4 p.m. Friday 10th December, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification
NAIROBI CITY WATER AND SEWERAGE COMPANY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER