II. Legal Officer I, JOB GROUP N/CASB 06 (ONE POSITION)
a) Duties and Responsibilities
i. Drafting of Bills; drafting of amendments to Bills to be proposed to the Assembly by any Member of County Assembly or any Committee of County Assembly
ii. Giving legal interpretation of Acts and Bills and generally giving legal advice on matters relating to County Assembly
iii. Providing legal advice to the CASB, County Assembly and its Committees
iv. Providing any other legal services that may be required by County Assembly, the Committees, the Speaker, the CASB or the Clerk
v. Ensuring that Bills passed by County Assembly comply with the Constitution
vi. Legal representation of County Assembly and the CASB in court proceedings
vii. Publication of Bills
viii. Preparation of vellums for Bills
ix. Litigation management
x. Preparing legal opinions and briefs
xi. Managing the legal aspects of procurement and contract management
xii. Formulation of Assembly's internal rules, regulations and operation
xiii. Conducting legal audits
xiv. Ensuring that the Assembly complies with the governing laws
xv. Legal awareness creation among Members of the Assembly and members of the public
xvi. Conducting public participation on legislation
xvii. Managing petitions to the Assembly
xviii. Review of Standing Orders and other House Rules
xix. Carrying on legal research on matters before the Department
xx. Custodian of all Assembly papers presented in the house in the course of debate
xxi. Offering professional, legal advice to the Speaker, County Assembly Service Board members, honorable members and staff on Parliamentary procedure on matters of tradition, practices, conventions and etiquette.
xxii. Such other relevant duty as may be assigned by the Assembly Clerk/HOD.
b) Minimum Requirement for Appointment
For appointment to this grade an officer must:
i. Have served in the grade of Legal Counsel II, Drafting Services/Litigation or in a comparable position for a minimum period of three (3) years;
ii. Have a Bachelor of Laws degree;
iii. Be admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
iv. Be in possession of a current practicing certificate
v. Be Proficient in computer applications skills.
vi. Compliance with the provisions of Chapter six of the Constitution.
• Term of Service: Permanent and Pensionable
• Remuneration: To be compensated as per the applicable guidelines by the Salaries and Remuneration Commission.
HOW TO APPLY
• Each application should be accompanied by detailed CV, and copies of relevant academic and professional certificates, Copy of National identification card or passport and other relevant testimonials
• Application should be submitted in a sealed envelope with the position applied for,clearly marked on the left top side. And either hand delivered to the assembly offices or posted to the following addressed:
Machakos County Assembly Service Board
P.O Box 1168-90100
• Online applications may be submitted as PDF attachment via email to: email@example.com
Important information to all applicants
1. Applications should reach the Secretary, County Assembly Service Board on or before 13th May, 2021
2. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvasing will lead to automatic disqualification.
3. Shortlisted candidates MUST meet the requirements of chapter six of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity and will be required to produce clearance /compliance certificate from the following agencies
a) Ethics and Anti-corruption commission
b) Higher Education Loans Board
c) Kenya Revenue Authority
d) Credit Reference Bureau
e) Directorate of criminal Investigation
The County Assembly Service Board of Machakos is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge commission for its recruitment services. Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.