DEPARTMENT LEGAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
POSITION/JOB TITLE Legal Officer
REPORTS TO Senior Legal Officer
DIRECT REPORTS N/A
RESPONSIBLE FOR Providing legal advice to the company on all business transactions.
• All HODs
• HFM – insurance matters, debt matters etc
• HPO – on documentation and project contracts
• Head of Sales & Marketing – on preparation of cement distribution agreements and customers’ disputes
• Tender Committee – On compliance with Public Procurement and Disposal Act.
• Ministry of Industrialization
• Public Procurement Oversight Authority;
• Insurance Companies and brokers
• AG’s Chambers, Ministry of Lands, and local authorities.
• External Legal persons and firms
• Capital Markets Authority, Nairobi Stock Exchange
• Suppliers and contractors
Need to do
• Study matters and advise the company on their legal implications
• Prepare business contract documents and review those prepared by suppliers to ensure the company’s interests are protected.
• Liaise with external legal firms to ensure that the Company’s cases are promptly and efficiently attended to.
• Prepare company witnesses to provide a strong defense for court cases.
• Prepare reports on finalized and outstanding cases to the Managing Director for information and direction.
• Pursue the company debtors in accordance with the legal procedures to recover debts.
• Take minutes for various company management committees meetings and circulate the same to the relevant managers for action.
• Monitor developments in the law and ensure that the Company complies with the changes.
• Liaise with other legal institutions e.g. AG’s Chambers, Law Society of Kenya etc for consultations on best practices and resolution of outstanding legal matters.
• Ensure that Company trademarks are registered, renewed and protected to avoid infringement.
• Facilitate legal conveyance of company documents such as land title deeds to protect company assets.
• Handle insurance issues and ensure they are resolved in the Company’s best interests.
• Litigation skills
• Investigative skills
• Strong negotiation and communication skills.
• Computer use skills
• 5 years post admission experience in legal practice
• Intuitive and inquisitive
• Organized and focused
• Uphold highly levels of confidentiality
• Honest and trustworthy
• High integrity
• Team player
• Bachelor’s degree in Law
• Diploma from the Kenya School of Law
• Advocate of High Court of Kenya
SALARY FOR THE ROLE 150,000