The Maintenance Workshop Engineer will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies to improve overall reliability and safety of plant and equipment in coordination with other departmental managers for improved efficiencies. The position plans, organizes and directs engineering activities to meet company objectives for design, development and improvement of existing production plant and equipment.
Key Duties/ Responsibilities
1. Develop strategies for improving production facilities, reduce the incidence of costly breakdowns and overall reliability and safety of plant, equipment and production processes.
2. Lead the implementation of maintenance strategies across all sites to ensure efficiency in machinery/equipment utilisation to achieve business objectives. This includes overseeing the implementation of the maintenance schedules, improvement of the company’s facilities and equipment
3. Inspect operating machines and equipment for conformance with operational standards. Analyse breakdowns, diagnose faults and supervise time critical equipment repairs
4. Plan, develop, and implement new methods and procedures designed to improve operations, minimize operating costs, and effect greater utilization of labour and materials
5. Identify opportunities for cost-effectively implementing equipment redundancies to ensure work interruptions are minimized in the case of equipment breakdowns; by working with other functional heads (within production units, garages, quarries) to resolve maintenance problems and recommend measures to improve operations and conditions of machines and equipment
6. Regularly review and update maintenance protocols to ensure best practices. Ensure routine review of machinery and electrical safety to ensure the highest standards are met
7. Prepare the maintenance department budget and monitors expenditure. Anticipate and forecast the maintenance departmental needs and communicate in advance for budgetary planning and resource allocation.
8. Plan and manage stock and supply chain for spare parts and plant/equipment consumables to minimize downtime. Ensure the spare parts availability by purchasing all needed spare parts and maintenance consumables
9. Work with production team to roll out an autonomous maintenance culture where the machine operators are able to carry out the first level of machine maintenance. Take lead in training of the production teams to ensure they understand the working equipment and minimise disruptions
10. Participate the planning, procurement, installation and commissioning of new machinery and equipment. Provide technical expertise and advise the Directors on procurement of new plant and equipment specifications and applicability
11. Liaise with plant and equipment manufacturers/suppliers on maintenance and repair related issues to ensure that all the maintenance and repair standards and specifications are met in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines/manuals
12. Oversee all safety inspections, audits and risk assessment. Ensure timely completion of all corrective and preventive actions to avoid repeats of Service and Quality defects, and all audit non-conformances
13. Manage the performance of the engineering team members including training and provision of the appropriate guidance for the purpose of improvement on the performance
14. Identification of training needs and direct training and coaching of staff to improve work performance and acquaint departmental technicians with company policies and procedures
15. Emphasis on adherence to safety working conditions and attires regarding Occupational and environmental safety requirements.
Academic and professional qualifications and experience required
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering or equivalent
· Diploma in maintenance management or equivalence
· At least ten (10) years of experience in engineering maintenance, three (3) of which must be in a supervisory position
· Advanced exposure knowledge of mechanical, electrical and equipment maintenance; knowledge of concrete production-related machinery is desired
· Sound knowledge of concrete production facilities requirements, processes, operations and
· Experience developing, implementing, and managing continuous improvement initiatives in a production facility
· Ability to read and/or interpret mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic blueprints or schematics.
Key Skills and Competencies
· Strong leadership skills with hands-on capability and management style.
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Team-oriented, forward-thinking, creative, and naturally curious.
· Experience developing, implementing, and managing continuous improvement initiatives.
· Experience working proactively as a member of a project team or organization.
· Skilled at explaining technical processes to an audience possessing varying levels of technical acumen.
· Highest level of personal and professional integrity