About Mount Kenya University
Mount Kenya University (MKU) is a Chartered and ISO 9001:2015 certified University committed to a broad-based, holistic and inclusive system of education. The University is a member of the Inter-University Council of East Africa as well as the Association of Commonwealth Universities. The University student population consists of privately and Government sponsored students. It has a dynamic, comprehensive and high quality academic and vocational training system. The University has linkages with similar and reputable institutions.
MKU has its main campus in Thika and other campuses in Nairobi, Mombasa and Nakuru. Its Open Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) centres are located in major towns in Kenya and in Burundi, Somaliland and Uganda. It has established Equip Africa College of Medical and Health Sciences - an accredited TVET institution offering courses in the field of Health Sciences in Kitale. The University also operates MKU Kigali, a cross-border campus based in the Republic of Rwanda.
Detailed vacancy information
- MANAGER (EMPLOYEE RESOURCING & DEVELOPMENT)
- Conduct Monthly/ Quarterly/ Bi-annual or annual reviews of staffing levels in every section to determine the best human resource strategy prior to recruitment.
- Cross-examine staff establishments received from the Academic and Administration Planning and Institutional Advancement Divisions prior to submission to the University Management Board.
- Ensure the University obtains and retains the human resources it needs in line with the University’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the turnaround time for filling of vacancies created through separation of staff is practical to enhance business continuity.
- Effectively manage the recruitment and selection process.
- Promote equality and diversity as part of the university culture in recruitment.
- Facilitate all interviews for staff promotion in consultation with the respective process owners in line with the University Statutes and Schedules.
- Create, organize, plan, and present various forms of on-boarding, orientation, and skills training for employees ensuring submission of induction reports to enable continuous improvement.
- Assesses training and development needs through surveys, interviews, focus groups, and communication with section heads on a regular basis to develop new training programs or modify and improve existing ones.
- Develop and implement staff training and development programs and budgets.
- In liaison with the Performance Management Committee, implement the performance management system by ensuring that performance across the University is deliberately planned, monitored and evaluated.
- Coordinate staff performance appraisals across the campuses and ensure that the necessary remedies are implemented.
- Ensure employee potential is maximized by encouraging cross-team activities and participation in coaching and mentorship programmes.
- Advise staff members on career development matters in line with the University’s Schemes of Service.
- Guide staff on all training procedures including application, bonding, progress reports and study leave.
- Develop a knowledge management plan to promote data literacy and enable knowledge sharing and collaboration within the University.
- Develop succession planning programs and strategies aimed at creating a pool of trained workers for advancement to key positions with the intention of safeguarding the University against any contingencies relating to the exit of key staff.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Holder of a Master’s degree in Human Resource Management (HRM) or equivalent from a recognized University.
- 5 years’ experience in Administration at the University level or at a similar position in a recognized institution.
Skills and Core Competences:
- Possess effective communication, persuasive and interpersonal skills, as well as logical and sound decision making ability;
- Possess strong strategic planning and change management skills;
- Capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines;
- Possess firm, fair and transparent management style; and
- Be a creative, ethical, innovative and transformative leader
Terms and Conditions of Service:
- Successful candidates shall be offered a competitive remuneration package in accordance with the Mount Kenya University terms and conditions of service.
Applications Requirements /Procedure
- Suitably qualified candidates should apply in confidence through the email address below attaching a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) that clearly indicates the names, telephone contacts and addresses of three referees.
Please note that only email (softcopy) applications sent to email@example.com on or before 14th August 2020 will be considered for evaluation.
- Mount Kenya University is an equal opportunity employer.
- Any form of canvassing by any candidate will lead to disqualification.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates invited to attend formal interviews must produce original copies of attached documents during the interview sessions.