Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Activity Overview and Role
Palladium seeks a Marketing/Partnerships Specialist to support Objective 1 of the Regional Agriculture and Market Systems (RAMS) activity, a 5-year, $23 million task order under USAID’s Regional Integration and Stronger Economics (RISE) IDIQ mechanism. RAMS is designed to promote increased agricultural production, trade, improved policies, finance and investment, and resilience to shocks and stresses in the East Africa region by addressing agricultural issues that can only be solved on a regional basis. RAMS will collaborate closely with USAID/Kenya and East Africa’s regional intergovernmental partners, including the East African Community (EAC), the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) region. The Activity is organized under four objectives: 1) Strengthening cross-border agricultural market systems, 2) Accessing and scaling technologies, 3) Strengthening regional resilience, and 4) Strengthening the regional agriculture policy and regulatory environment. The RAMS geographic area of focus includes the East African countries of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, and Zambia.
The Marketing/Partnerships Specialist will support the Cross-Border Trade and Market Systems Lead to build more effective cross-border market systems that take full advantage of new and existing international market opportunities. S/he will help to identify market linkage activities that expand trade opportunities across EA. S/he will report directly to the Cross-Border Trade and Market Systems Lead.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Support partnership and alliance-building to strengthen structured cross-border trade and value chain development. Focus value chains include but are not limited to: livestock, climate resilient staple crops, and horticulture.
- Cultivate and continuously expand RAMS’ network of partners and identify specific commercial market opportunities to expand regional and international trade.
- Support the development and strengthening of value chain-specific, business-led partnerships to stimulate cross-border trade.
- Facilitate market linkages and identify constraints market actors face in cross-border trade arrangements.
- Support facilitation of private-sector solutions and trade facilitation measures to reduce the time and cost of agricultural trade.
- Provide technical assistance and grants in order to support suppliers’ ability to meet volume and quality demands of cross-border buyers, and to support co-investment of alliances in new or upgraded equipment to improve value chain development across borders.
- Collaborate with other donor-funded projects and market actors to integrate lead firms, smallholders, and specialized service providers; financial institutions (FIs); and research institutions to facilitate increased cross-border trade.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, international trade, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience facilitating market linkages between market actors to strengthen value chains.
- Demonstrated success facilitating connections across borders to achieve results in East Africa.
- Knowledge and understanding of barriers to regional cross-border trade, and ability to think creatively about solutions to overcome barriers when possible.
- Must be well-networked across RAMS countries of focus. Experience across target value chains a plus.
- Prior USAID or donor experience preferred.
- Strong preference for Kenyan and East African citizens.