ACCOUNTABLE TO: HEAD OF DEPARTMENT - CLINIC
Provides information for patient diagnosis and treatment by performing laboratory tests in Parasitology, hematology, Serology, Urine/Dry chemistry, and microbiology areas of the laboratory; receiving, testing, and recording in the Lab request form and the Lab register.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Receiving, labelling, performing and analyzing laboratory tests and procedures to assist physicians in diagnosing, monitoring, treating and preventing disease.
• Organizes work by specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling; logging specimens; arranging reports for delivery; keeping work surfaces clean and orderly.
• Maintains quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance and advanced trouble shooting; calibrating equipment utilizing approved testing procedures; monitoring quality control measures and protocols.
• Identifies and communicates abnormal patient conditions by alerting supervisory personnel, the patient physician, or nurse.
• Create a safe environment by keeping work areas clean and ensuring none of the medical equipment becomes contaminated.
• Daily instrument maintenance and quality control.
• Actively participates in Quality Improvement Programs essential to ensure that laboratory testing is accurate, timely and meets customer needs.
• (Hematology) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating hematology, urinalysis, and coagulation equipment; performing manual methods of differentials.
• (Parasitology) receives the patient takes/send for specimen collection, processes, examines and reports in the lab report form and the Lab register and dispatches the results to the patient or takes it to the physician room where applicable.
• (Microbiology) provides culture and sensitivity results in the microbiology lab
• Collection of viral load/CD4 cell count samples and follow up results at the national laboratory.
• Collects processes and examines Sputum in the TB laboratory and reports them accordingly.
• Responsible for ordering and maintaining stock and resources for the laboratory.
• Prepares Weekly, Monthly, Lab disease surveillance reports and hands them to the Health coordinator respectively.
• Develop up to date laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs), display them and ensure adherence to same.
• Keeping up to date with relevant scientific and technical development.
• Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
• Supervise and instruct other technicians and laboratory assistants.
• Maintains patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
• Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, dispensary policies and procedures, and local requirements.
• Enhances laboratory services and clinic reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Other duties as assigned by the Head of Department