1. The Organisation
Caritas Nairobi is the aid and social development agency of the Archdiocese of Nairobi. Our vision is to see a just, self-reliant and value based society. We work in the counties of Kiambu and Nairobi to provide aid and social development services without regards to race, gender, and age, social or religious backgrounds. In line with development objectives, Caritas Nairobi is working with local dairy farmers to enhance their productivity and income through the development and enhancement of a dairy value chain, which involves dairy processing.
1. Job Summary: MILK GRADER
Based in Limuru, the milk grader will ensure milk received on a daily basis is of the highest quality while recording accurately, all milk collected from farmer. Ensure the relationship between farmers and dairy is maintained in good standing, inform and educate farmers of expectations as a dairy and advise on good dairy practices.
2. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure the relationship between the farmers and the dairy unit is maintained in good standing.
2. Ensure that all milk collected from the farmer satisfies the prescribed quality requirements of the Dairy Unit and its customers
3. Ensure timely delivery of milk to avoid quality deterioration.
4. Sampling, analysis, testing and recording of raw milk from each farmer, ensuring that it complies with the highest quality standards.
5. Ensure records relating milk collection and to the performance of your duties are maintained clearly, comprehensively and accurately on the tools provided, to ensure continuity of operations and avoid any ambiguity.
6. Deliver milk to the dairy unit in a safe, timely manner, adhering to Dairy Unit rules on milk transportation
7. Ensure the safety and maintenance of all dairy unit resources and equipment assigned to you
8. Ensure you are appropriately dressed and presentable to farmers, customers and stakeholders at all times and in-line with set Dairy Unit rules.
9. Ensure all incidences, however minor, occurring in the process of performing your duties are reported and recorded accordingly.
10. Ensure the highest level of hygiene and safety standards in the process of milk collection, grading and transportation.
11. Apply and uphold certified milk test methods and procedures during the course of duty
12. Report any anomalies immediately to line supervisor for corrective action and follow-up and ensure the corrective action taken is effective and sustainable.
13. Ensure that all relevant records are delivered on a daily basis and handed over to the Dairy Accountant;
14. Advise management of any machinery breakdown and due dates for maintenance;
15. Offer technical assistance and advice to farmers whose milk has been rejected; and
16. Any other duty as assigned by line manager and or CEO
3. Key Result Areas:
The jobholder’s accountability areas are outlined as follows;
1. Up to date Quality Assurance Reports
2. Upholding Milk Quality Standards
3. Submission of accurate, timely and relevant reporting
4. Effective communication and maintenance of work relationships
5. Adherence to relevant guidelines, rules and regulations
6. Continuous customer satisfaction for the consumers of the services offered by the department
1. Certificate in Dairy Technology or equivalent
2. Diploma in Food Science will be an added advantage
3. Valid food handling certificate
4. Minimum Grade of C+ in Kenya Certificate of Education
5. Minimum of two (2) years in quality assurance in a milk processing set up
4.1 Skills and Experience
1) Must demonstrate high integrity and ethical practice
2) Must demonstrate ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
3) Must be a team player who is able to work cordially in teams
4) Must demonstrate commitment to operational effectiveness
5) Must be able to work under pressure
6) Must be a flexible person, who is willing to learn and able to work flexible hours to achieve goals
4.2 Personal Qualities
1) Values: respect for ideals and values of the Catholic Church
2) Ethics: Ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
3) Adaptability: Demonstrate dynamism and a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
4) Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities