About the project:
The successful candidate will join the Institute’s multi-disciplinary team as a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Expert for a new project, the Health Technologies Advocacy Project. The project will create an African driven advocacy platform (the Health Tech Platform (HTP)) to facilitate informed, objective, transparent, open and balanced discussions on development and use of transformational tools and technologies to address key health challenges in sub-Saharan Africa. The overall purpose of the project is to ensure that Africans are meaningfully involved in driving conversations about the need for transformational technologies and tools, their design, development, testing, and uptake by governments, other development actors, and communities, including youth and women. The initial focus of the project will be the ongoing research on mosquito gene drive and gene editing technologies for the elimination of Malaria in sub-Saharan Africa, and will be implemented at regional level as well as at national level in two countries to be confirmed, namely, Burkina Faso and Uganda or Kenya. This is a full-time position which will report to the Project Manager.
The main responsibility of the MEL Expert will be to spearhead the design and implementation of the project’s monitoring, evaluation and learning framework/plan. Specific responsibilities include:
- Design and oversee implementation of the project’s MEL framework; update the framework as necessary during the life of the project.
- Identify appropriate indicators at the process, output, outcome and impact levels of the project.
- Train all project staff and key partners in their role in project monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Lead and coordinate project monitoring and evaluation activities and processes, including development of tracking tools, and regular tracking of project activities and results through data collection, analysis and report writing.
- Provide regular updates on project progress against key results to the Project Manager and the project team and partners.
- Coordinate regular project learning meetings that discuss emerging data from project monitoring and evaluation, ways of incorporating these data into the design of project interventions to enable learning and ongoing improvement.
- Manage a repository for data collected for the project MEL
- Anticipate and support project reporting requirements.
- Contribute to institutional development, including the design and implementation of AFIDEP’s institutional level monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
Qualifications and Requirements
The expert will have a Masters’ degree in Economics, Statistics, Monitoring & Evaluation, Development Studies, or a related field. A minimum of five years’ experience in senior roles designing and implementing MEL systems in donor-funded development programmes.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative research, analysis and evaluation skills.
- Highly developed conceptual, analytical and innovative problem-solving ability.
- Good appreciation of qualitative methods in monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor tasks.
- Computer literacy and competency in use of Microsoft Office software.
- Proficiency in common statistical software, including Stata, SPSS, etc.
- Experience with electronic data capture and analysis platforms.
- Ability to independently and proactively work as a team member with minimum day-to-day oversight.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills in English; French fluency is desirable.
- Willingness and ability to travel, including travelling to project countries to evaluate project interventions.
How to Apply
- Please send a motivation letter indicating your suitability to this position and a detailed CV which should include three relevant referees to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 30th November 2020.
- Applications should include the title of the position as the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.