Location: Nairobi with frequent travel to project sites**
Within our project areas in Kenya and Tanzania, we restore degraded landscapes using rainwater harvesting, agroforestry and climate resilient agriculture techniques. In the coming years we will expand our activities to other African countries.
We are looking for an experienced MEL expert to improve our MEL strategy and workflow for us and our donors.
For this role, we seek someone who is seasoned in the field of landscape restoration and monitoring & evaluation in international development. You should have experience in remote sensing, managing databases, data visualisations and reporting, as well as in managing MEL activities and budgets.
You will be leading the further development of our MEL strategy and approach on a day-to-day basis. Managing MEL plans, contracts and budgets with our program and evaluation partners, coordinate MEL staff within Justdiggit and our program partners, and analyse and report on evaluation outcomes and learnings.
Furthermore, together with the rest of the programs team, you will be involved in the design and set-up of new landscape restoration projects.
And, as we are an organisation that loves communication, a good level of understanding on impactful and appealing communication and visualisation is important.
• Develop Justdiggit’s MEL strategy and frameworks.
• Manage MEL activities, budgets, contracts and databases.
• Select and develop effective methods to quantify our impact (from household surveys, to soil samples and satellite imagery).
• Support, train and supervise MEL staff within Justdiggit and of our program partners both in the office and field.
• Analyse and validate data together with our program partners, identify issues and challenges, combine different data sets into meaningful information and produce impact reports about it.
• Expand our network of (international) universities, partners and experts.
• Contribute to the growth of Justdiggit and improvement of project design with data, insights and learnings.
• Carry out regular visits to our program partners and field sites to coordinate and supervise MEL activities and build their capacity.
Required experience and skills
• MSc. in earth sciences, ecology, environmental sciences, conservation, physical geography or related field.
• >10 years of work experience.
• Technical expertise in landscape restoration, soil and water conservation or agro-forestry projects in international development.
• Proven track record of developing MEL strategies and plans for an organisation in international development.
• Able to initiate and manage MEL partnerships, from program partners to experts and scientists.
• Strong skills in quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods, from selecting or developing these methods to analysing data and reporting about the outcomes.
• Experience in setting up databases and systems for data collection and visualisation.
• Have a keen eye to spot anomalies or surprising insights in complex datasets.
• Good working knowledge in Earth Engine, QGIS and/or ArcGIS.
• Affinity with research into the effectiveness of marketing and communications is a preference.
• Experience with working in rural settings in the African context.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a positive and pragmatic ‘can do’ attitude.
• Fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch and French is a preference.
• Be part of a great mission: regreen our planet!
• As part of a fast-growing organisation, there will be ample room for personal and professional development.
• Great colleagues and a diverse team.
• Working from our office in Nairobi
• We are committed to building a team that includes and welcomes people of different genders, ethnicities, faiths, sexual orientations, and other diverse backgrounds.
How to apply
If you believe you are the right person for this role, please send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com before Sunday 24 January 2021.