Africa Healthcare Network (AHN) is building the first dialysis chain across East Africa, providing high-quality, life-saving dialysis at an affordable cost to both the local patient population and patients from neighboring countries, which do not have centers of their own. AHN brings world-class technical expertise combined with developing world practical operating experience to a region in dire need of quality dialysis treatment. In North America, over 97% of patients requiring treatment for kidney disease receive care; in East Africa, less than 5% receive care. AHN's goal is to increase access to high quality care at a lower cost to patients, delivered through a sustainable business model. AHN is currently operating in Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya.
Your duties and responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Set up and operate dialysis machines to provide dialysis treatment for patients
- Prime dialyzer with saline or heparinized solution to prepare machine for use
- Receive and transport patient to dialysis room and positions patient on chair/bed at hemodialysis machine
- Take and record patient’s pre-dialysis weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse rate, and respiration rate
- Clean area of access, using antiseptic solution
- Monitor patient for adverse reaction and hemodialysis machine for malfunction
- Monitor stock for expiration dates, quantity, consumption, etc.
- Follow decontamination protocol for all instruments and equipment used
- Compile and sterilize dialysis starting and ending packs
- Dispose of biomedical waste into appropriate waste disposal receptacles
- Lay out linens for patients at the start of dialysis, and wash out blood stains from linens when needed
- Give bedpan to patients when needed, and disposes of waste
- Certificate or diploma in nursing or other relevant Nurse Aide certificate from a recognized institution
- At least two years of clinical experience working as a nurse assistant/ aide in a dialysis unit
- Excellent analytical reasoning skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Commitment to providing high quality care and excellence.
- Ability to work effectively with a team in a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work under minimum supervision