Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
Experience Level: Mid level
Experience Length: 3 years
The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit Pharo Ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Established in 2011 as a UK based non-profit, the Foundation has since made a strategic shift to directly design and implement its own programmes to ensure greater engagement with communities, better results and increased accountability. The Foundation has carried out numerous projects in East Africa, with a focus on Ethiopia, Somaliland and Rwanda. The key themes for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water and agriculture. At the end of 2019, the Foundation started its Pharo Ventures franchise to prioritise sectors where the Foundation believes a real impact can be made by establishing self-sustaining businesses, which focus on job creation.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation has an operational Head Office in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and Assosa), Somaliland (Hargeisa) and Rwanda (Kigali) with further expansion plans in East Africa.
The Pharo Foundation Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) is designed to prepare young people for the world of work and provides the tools for sustainable development. The programme encompasses education, training and skills development relating to a wide range of occupational fields, production, services and livelihoods. It is intended to inspire young people to identify and explore their potential and contribute to national development and to bridge the gap between employability and technical skills among young people in Somaliland.
We are looking to recruit a Lecturer who has experience in Paint and Decorator instructing Level 2 and 3. The prospected candidate should also be experienced in delivery of coursework and a national qualification in this area. As part of the TVET Team you will take a lead role in supporting young people to gain experience, knowledge and qualifications in painting and decorating.
Job Title: Lecturer, Arts and Design.
Reports to: Vocational Training Officer
Job Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Contract: Fixed term (12 months)
Functional Relationships: Real Estate and Construction Development Manager and Head of Education.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Effectively plan courses and lessons by preparing and using schemes of work and lesson plans for all classes.
• Design hands-on lesson plans that allow for students to learn how to use the tools, equipment, technology and techniques necessary to perform the tasks required of the job.
• Provide instruction in painting and decorating skills.
• Deliver relevant coursework and qualifications.
• Contribute to the trainee’s Individualised Education Programmes where applicable.
• Assess, record and report on the work of trainees under the guidance of the monitoring and evaluation team.
• Assist in any marketing strategies related to courses, delivery and training within and out of normal work hours.
• Monitor the take-up of taught courses and employ strategies to increase the take-up to ensure maximum attendance.
• Monitor attendance, achievement and progression of learners reporting any difficulties to your line manager.
• Attend team meetings to evaluate progress and promote good practice. Attend all staff meetings, which will include giving feedback on classes and ideas for development of teaching practices and the department generally.
• Maintain good order and discipline among trainees.
• Safeguard the health and safety of all trainees and staff.
• Any other duties assigned by the line manager.
• Skilled painter and decorator with trade experience is an added advantage.
• Assessor qualification
• Recognised qualification in a specialism
• Experience of designing a new curriculum and implementing an accredited course
• Experience of working successfully with accredited examination bodies
• Proven advanced knowledge in MS Office
• Excellent time management skills
• Excellent organisational skills with a commitment to accuracy
• Ability to engage, motivate, support and coach, colleagues and students
• Good understanding of teaching practice
• Have an understanding of current legislation and health and safety issues with the equipment and materials used in the painting and decorating trade.
• Experience of calculating the quantity and necessary materials needed for a project.
• Knowledge of methods of protecting work areas from paint and tidying up and cleaning work tools.
• Applying paint, stains, varnishes and other finishes and using different brushes, rollers or spraying equipment.
• Knowledge and understanding of the latest technology and developments in the fields of painting and decorating.
• Experience with wallpaper installation and paint shapes.
• Experience of preparing and decorating internal and external elements of the building and grounds, which may include the use of paint, paper and other decorative finishes.
• Previous teaching experience.
• Ability to work independently
• Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
• Good communication and presentation skills
• Knowledge of continuous evaluation and integrated assessment
• High level of professionalism, work ethics and integrity.
• Strong learner focus
• Ability to adapt to different environments.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Coaching and mentoring skills
Salary and Benefits
•The salary and benefits package is competitive and will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
•Medical insurance is provided in accordance with The Pharo Foundation Health policy