The Alliance is seeking a passionate, motivated and experienced individual to join its newly established Program Coordination Unit (PCU) in Kenya to support the implementing partners with policy and institutional analysis, advocacy and government engagement.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:7 years
Please note: To apply for this role, you must be willing to work in Kenya, with some travel likely.
The Global EverGreening Alliance (The Alliance/GEA) is an international NGO which coordinates the development and implementation of large-scale land restoration programs.
Its members include World Vision, CARE International, Oxfam, Catholic Relief Services, Conservation International, The Nature Conservancy, the World Resources Institute and World Agroforestry.
The Alliance was established to create and apply long-term solutions to the global problems of land degradation and climate change. This is done through a collaborative approach with an emphasis on evergreening practices: regenerative farming that integrates trees into crop and livestock production systems of smallholder farms. In May 2022, the Alliance launched Restore Africa, the largest community-based land restoration program in Africa. More than 1.8 million hectares of degraded land will be restored through sustainable land management practices in six countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia, improving the livelihoods of more than 1.5 million households and sequestering 80M tons of CO2 in the process. The Restore Africa Program will be implemented by consortia of member organisations across the African region and will be coordinated by the Alliance’s Program Coordination Unit located in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Alliance is seeking a passionate, motivated and experienced individual to join its newly established Program Coordination Unit (PCU) in Kenya to support the implementing partners with policy and institutional analysis, advocacy and government engagement. The role will contribute to increasing the political visibility of the Global Evergreening Alliance and Restore Africa Program by supporting the engagement with government and regional governmental bodies on ecosystem restoration and carbon benefits. This will involve connecting with relevant global fora and policy processes. The role will also enhance compliance with Environmental, Social and Governance Impact protocols and policies by lead implementing organisations and country consortium partners.
• Leading the analysis of and advice on government policies, action plans/strategies related to climate action, carbon benefits, carbon rights, and ecosystem restoration
• Enhancing institutional strengthening at various stakeholder groups for scaling up restoration practices
• Liaising with legal service providers where necessary to enhance program outcomes
• Spearheading relationships with governments and regional mechanisms in conjunction with lead implementing organisations
• Undertaking research on the Voluntary Carbon Market (VCM) landscape, including analysis of policy and institutional barriers to carbon and livelihood benefits across stakeholder groups, and synthesis of related advice for project stakeholders
• Facilitating research to highlight the experience of smallholders for evidence, policy positions, advocacy campaigns and news articles
• Identifying key advocacy points pertaining to VCM and landscape restoration and developing and implementing advocacy plans
• Facilitating identification of legal barriers to land restoration, carbon benefits and support for contextually appropriate incentives and benefit-sharing mechanisms
• Leading the development of cooperation mechanisms in carbon offsetting with in-country legal experts as advised by the program governance structures
• Engaging with country and regional government and non-governmental agencies to stay up to date with the latest development, policy, and advocacy matters
• Jointly with Media and Communication team, organising events/activities to enhance relationships among Alliance members and with government bodies at the country and regional level
• Working to support the Media and Communication team to enhance advocacy and bring Restore Africa Program to global fora
• Supporting PCU staff and implementing partners to meet the ESG and Funders’ and industry requirements per the Program Implementation Agreements and the Collaboration Agreement between GEA and implementing partners and investors, including capacity building of implementing partners’ compliance officers.
• Advanced degree in a relevant discipline such as international affairs or public policy, Climate Science, international/rural development, agricultural or environmental science, public administration or similar
• Minimum 7 years experience in related work, especially in policy research and development and advocacy
• Demonstrated experience in compliance with international development best practices, and policy analysis and preparation of policy briefs
• Relevant experience with building relationships with national and international partners and knowledge of international policy dialogues
• Practical experience in rural development, stakeholder analysis and institutional strengthening, especially related to community-based natural resources management
• Strong independent thinking skills with the ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Strong interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills.
The Global EverGreening Alliance has zero tolerance for child abuse, discrimination, harassment and workplace bullying. All staff are required to sign an acknowledgement and adhere strictly to the organisation’s child protection, safeguarding and other policies. In addition, the successful applicant will need to provide a recent Police Record Check and either provide or successfully apply for a Working with Children Check card where relevant to the context.
To apply for this role, you must have the willingness to work in Kenya, with some travel across the Eastern and Southern Africa region.
Please provide both your CV and a Cover Letter (in one file) clearly addressing the Selection Criteria. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed as they come in, so please submit your application as soon as possible.
Please email your CV and a Cover Letter (in one file) clearly addressing the Selection Criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured