The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
PRINCIPAL CIVIL AVIATION OFFICER
Professional Staff Category: P3
Department: Civil Aviation and Airports
Reports to: Director, Infrastructure
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and facilitate the harmonization of civil aviation and airports policies of the Partner States.
- Initiate and promote the adoption of a harmonized legal framework in civil aviation and airports sub sectors of the Partner States.
- Coordinate and facilitate the implementation of studies and recommendations in the East African Civil Aviation Safety Projects (covering the implementation of the aviation safety and security regulations; development of aviation manuals and publications; support to the EAC Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency (CASSOA); Upper Flight Information Region and Global Navigation Satellite Systems among others.
- Coordinate meetings of the Heads of Civil Aviation and Airport Authorities and follow up on recommendations.
- Liaise with international and regional organizations on civil aviation and airports..
- Develop draft proposals for projects for funding in civil aviation and airports sector.
- Develop draft Terms of Reference as appropriate for projects and programmes in the sub-sector.
- Participate in the identification of regional centres of excellence in civil aviation and aviation sub sectors.
- Prepare progress and annual reports on the sub sectors and follow up on implementation of Council and Summit decisions related to the Sector.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Masters Degree in Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Transport Economics or an equivalent qualification from a recognised University.
- 10 years of experience in civil aviation, with 5 years at a senior level.
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong aviation, engineering, communication, analytical, statistics, presentation, negotiation, networking, team-building and computer skills. Ability to pay attention to detail, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines is essential.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EAC economic integration process.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to influence multi-stakeholder processes;
- Excellent analytical skills particularly in interpreting, using, analyzing and presenting data and evidence.
- Good skills in Project proposal development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrable knowledge of metrology matters for the EAC Partner States.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form via the following link: https://www.eac.int/component/documentmananger/?task=download.document&file=bWFpbl9kb2N1bWVudHNfZG9jX2VHY2JrbGlqR0xQZnhDWGxYcHZjVkRNRUFDIEFQUExJQ0FUSU9OIEZPUk0=&counter=686.
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: email@example.com; copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org Website : www.eac.int