NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB: The Principal serves as the educational leader, responsible for managing the policies, regulations, and procedures to ensure that all students are supervised in a safe learning environment that meets the approved curricula and mission of the Institute.
Achieving academic excellence requires that the principal works collaboratively and communicates effectively with the board of directors and other stakeholders to direct and nurture all members of the school staff.
Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for scheduling, curriculum enhancement, extracurricular activities, personnel management, emergency procedures, and facility operations.
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Principal shall:
• Promote and facilitate the innovation and enhancement of the curriculum to ensure it delivers an outstanding range of education and training opportunities.
• Provide support and be responsible for the recruitment of school personnel and faculty to run the programs at the college with a view to promote efficiency.
• Establish and promote high-standards and expectations for all students by ensuring the faculty offers education that is practical/applied, problem-based, and student- centred.
• Organize for attachment of students by ensuring strong alignment with the industry to provide incubation, mentorship, experiential training. This way the graduates gain skills that make them ready not just for employment opportunities, but also set up enterprises and embark on the route to be “creators and owners of wealth”.
• Manage, evaluate, and supervise effective and clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the Institute consistent with its mission, values, and its agenda.
• Maintain positive, cooperative, and mutually supportive relationships with staff, parents and other stakeholders while communicating with the Board regularly about the needs, successes, and general operation of the school.
• To maintain awareness and understanding of relevant legislation and changes in the education sector and the potential implications for the college.
• Undertake any additional duties that may be required within the scope of the post.
• Provide inspiring leadership ensuring that all staff are working in collaboration to achieve the highest results for learners.
• Ensure that the appropriate targets are set and agreed through in order to achieve the agreed short-term plans, that performance against these targets is monitored and that the college meets these targets.
• Foster positive internal and external communication ensuring staff is made aware of developments and decisions of the task force.
• Be an outstanding ambassador for the College promoting and representing it at local, regional, and international level.
• Ensure that overall management, internal organization and discipline of staff and learners are consistent with agreed policies and that they are applied fairly.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
• Ensure that high quality standards are set and achieved for all programs and promote practices that support learners.
• Supervise the instructional programs of the school, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes (teaching, as duties allow) on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with the college on learning and students’ growth and development.
• Establish procedures for evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment, approving all recommendations.
• Ensure evaluation of staff and quality of education, training and services and respond to student’s feedback.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Minimum of a Degree Level Certification with at least 2 years’ experience in education management.
• Pedagogy Training
• Evidence of training with leadership focus.
• Evidence of entrepreneurial skills required in managing a technical institution.
DESIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• The ability to analyze, solve problems and implement change with successful record of accomplishment of managing and delivering change.
• The ability to communicate a vision, show how it can be achieved, inspire others to embrace it and successfully take it forward.
• An awareness and understanding of relevant legislation & regulation as it applies to education.
• Display the highest ethical and professional behaviour and standards when working with students, parents, and school personnel.