UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
Under the direct supervision of the Procurement Analyst and overall guidance of the Regional Operations Manager, the Procurement Assistant will provide support to UN Women Regional Office in the area of procurement and travel management. The Procurement Assistant supports the execution of transparent and efficient Procurement services and processes consistent with the UN Women rules and regulations. The Procurement Assistant also works in collaboration with Programme and Operations staff to successfully deliver procurement services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide administrative and coordination support to procurement strategies in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies:
- Research and draft responses to enquiries for clearance by the Regional Operations Manager;
- Provide inputs to the implementation of procurement management policies and strategies on cost saving and reduction;
- Implement procurement management policies and strategies;
- Contribute to the development of sourcing strategies;
- Support the rollout of the of e-procurement and e-travel functions.
Coordinate procurement and travel processes for the Regional office:
- Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for Programmes/ projects;
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and projects equipment, supplies and services, as necessary;
- Prepare Request for Quotations (RFQ), Invitation to Bids (ITBs) or Request for Proposals (RFPs) documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, as necessary;
- Perform Buyer role in Atlas, prepare/close Purchase Orders (POs) and contracts in and outside Atlas;
- Timely processing of vendor creation requests in ATLAS;
- Organize travel including purchase of tickets, Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) calculation for all travelers;
- Prepare submissions to the Procurement Review Committee (PRC), as necessary.
Coordinate contract management processes for the Regional Office:
- Provide administrative support to contract management processes; maintain databases of long-term agreements and maintenance contracts;
- Coordinate submissions of F10 claims;
- Maintain rosters of suppliers;
- Maintain filing system.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing to the Regional Office and Country Offices:
- Participate in trainings for the operations/projects staff;
- Provide support to the synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices;
- Support the Procurement Analyst in providing training and support to country offices on e-Procurement and e-Travel systems.
Travel Logistics support and coordination with UNON Facilities Management:
- Arrange shipments and conference facilities;
- Process requests for visas for all UN travelers;
- Support with administrative duties including office maintenance, pouch and registry services;
- Arrange hotel reservations for visiting UN/UN Women officials;
- Organize hotel and event arrangements for all official UN Women meetings/ functions, engagements, ensure that all requirements are catered for as required;
- Arrange transportation for high-level officials;
- Liaise with UNON on VAT applications;
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely coordination, facilitation and implementation of procurement activities based on procurement plans and available budget;
- Proper and accurate maintenance of files and databases, documents are easily retrievable;
- Updated supplier and travel database including F10 claims and uploaded monthly on SharePoint;
- Timely organization of transport and logistics activities.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Knowledge of procurement processes, systems, administrative rules and regulations;
- Knowledge in the use of spreadsheets and database packages;
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good IT and web-based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Procurement Certification from an internationally recognized educational institute; or a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Business Administration or related field is an asset;
- Willingness to take UN Women internal procurement certifications is required.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, administration or related experience at the national or international level;
- Advanced knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of work-based management systems;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Knowledge of UN procurement rules and regulations is preferable;
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Management System (ERP) is an asset.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.